Chapter 25

Amnah thought the gala is going be some kind of business function but it's more to her a party than that. Not the wild kind of party but a meet and greet type. There she saw many of those she only sees on Instagram, thanks to her idleness, she's now a full-time grammer.

She felt nostalgic when the award was handed to the winner and agro brands were rushing her but she wouldn't say it would have been her because it has been written not to be hers in lauhul Mahfouz even before she was born.

"Ukhti", the silver lining voice of Sophia called behind her and her surprise was evident on her face. She gave her a bone crushing hug nonetheless. "Thank you for wearing Sophia".

"Why did you ship it down, i thought you weren't coming".

"Arshad won't let me miss it, got to Lagos this morning and we came together in his chopper a few hours ago".

Ladies all through the hall are glammed. When Beeba was going up and down fashion houses Amnah thought it was uncalled for but now she understands why she needed that, even her that doesn't care much would be damned if she was not helped out by Sophia.

"It's so nice of you to want me to wear hijab when you have this gorgeousness shipped from heaven".

"It's not at all that. I was pulling your legs and I know you will spin heads in all". Beeba only rolled her eyes smoothening nothing in particular on her dress.

Beeba came to Amnah's room in the morning with a huge box like she's packing out of her father's house and it scared Amnah and later on made her laugh her heads out. All these for just an event? She looks at Beeba sprawling all her clothes on the bed.

"Stop looking at me that way. I don't know which to go with can you help me?

"The hijab"

"U'uhum".

"The hijab you're wearing will look better". Beeba kissed her teeth and threw her things back to the box, she half zipped it and dragged it out banging the door. Then she came back again as if she has forgotten something, "remind me why we're cousins".

She wanted to say the last words, yeah, Beeba is that petty.

Amnah wanted to hide in a corner of the round hall if at all that will be possible because of the attention her gown was getting her. Zubaida is yet to come and in her voice she should use the time to network. "Businesses don't sell because you're the best but because you're the one they see first. They see you first before knowing your value", that's part of what she has learnt but it's easier said than done.

So she took a glass of jismah mocktail from an usher and walk tentatively to the center of the hall plastering a smile on her face.

"I was rooting for you to win", the tall, dark and handsome in Icy blue Tuxedo with bold black stripes on the lapels said after smiling at her from a distance and she returns his smile, he took that as a cue to come have a small talk.

"Was i in the competition?.

"You weren't? I'm busted then", he did a small deep laugh and continue, "Thought that could be a conversation starter. My name is Fadeel Tahir", he extended his right hand for a shake.

"Nice meeting you Fadeel but i don't shake guys".

"But you hug?" He tried to ease off his embarrassment. "You wish", she clicked her tongue against her teeth.

"If you aren't going to give me a name at least give me a number".

"I don't give my number to strangers but i collect theirs".

And that's how he called out his number to her and she saved it. How about you dial it so I'm sure you didn't make mistake in typing it.

"Then it means we're not meant to cross paths again", she walk past him to where she spotted her favorite person at the moment, Zubaida.