Chapter 2

MUHAMMAD IMRAN

"Ahmad, can I talk to your sister?"

Ahmad was taken aback, it wasn't just the sudden interest in his sister that surprised him. He had noticed the way Imran looked at her and spoke to her when he introduced them, and it seemed Imran had been lost in his own thoughts since she left the room. He knew Imran well enough to notice when something was on his mind, but he never expected a man like Imran to open up and ask to court his sister.

"of course, but I think Jadwa is catching up with Abdulhakeem."

Muhammad glanced at his younger friend and cracked a smile. "Do I know this Abdulhakeem? Is he engaged to her?" he askedwhile pouring himself a cup of cold water.

"He's the light-skinned guy we shared iftar with. We work together at the same company. As for engagement, they only started talking a few months ago, so nothing official yet."

"Well, if she were engaged, I might reconsider, but when it comes to Jadwa there's no turning back Ahmad" Muhammad stated firmly.

"I hope she gives you a chance. She's an incredible girl" Ahmad nodded in agreement.

"I won't change my decision."

Ahmad chuckled, impressed by the determination in Imran. He could almost imagine marrying off his sister to him if she agreed tomorrow. "I trust you'll treat my sister well. You've been good to me, and I owe you a lot not just my life, but countless favors. I won't force my sister, but if she accepts you, I'll be the happiest man."

"I know," Imran said as he picked up his car key and got up. "You've been like a brother to me. I, too, owe you a lot," he added, smirking as they bumped fists before heading out.

JADWA

Hours slipped away as she pondered over what to wear tomorrow, engaged in a call with Abdul. He was a great boyfriend, and being with him felt like living in a dream. Her feelings for him ran deep, and despite the limited time they spent talking since they started dating, this past month, as he informed her of his return, had brought them much closer.

When it was time for him to pick her up, she settled on a baby blue open abaya paired with a matching fitted silk dress as an inner. She opted not to braid her low bun today after styling her hair with gel. Kohl adorned her brown eyes, and she felt truly satisfied with her appearance. After spritzing some perfume and seeing Abdul's message that he was waiting outside, she went to bid farewell to her sister-in-law.

"She's an adult now, for God's sake! Didn't you take me out on dates before we got married?" Ameerah, her sister-in-law, defended her cause.

"You don't understand, I can't control her outings. I'm just not sure about this guy, Ameerah."

"He's your friend!" Ameerah exclaimed, looking at her husband incredulously.

"Not everyone I associate with is a friend or good enough for my sister!"

"She put in so much effort she really likes him. Let them play their roles, and we'll support her choice," she reassured her husband as she caressed his neck, perched on the arm of the chair he occupied.

Typical of her brother, always cautious about the men his sisters associated with, which annoyed her a little. She cleared her throat before stepping onto the balcony.

"I'm heading out now," she said with a tight smile.

"Don't return too late" Ahmad, her brother, advised, eyeing her from head to toe.

She nodded and rolled her eyes at Ameerah, throwing a wink her way. She wiped her slightly sweaty palms on the sides of her abaya before walking out the gate. Glancing at Abdul's fancy white BMW, she greeted him with a side hug.

"Hello" she said, feeling his warmth.

"My darling, you look stunning, as always."

"Thank you. How are you today?" she asked, a blush warming her cheeks.

They held hands and chatted away until they reached the restaurant. Being with him felt like comfort, like a missing piece of her had finally fallen into place.

As they ordered and sat side by side, her head rested on his shoulders, and his arms encircled her. He peppered her with kisses, and she felt like she was floating  as if nothing else mattered in this moment. Public or not, it didn't matter; his embrace felt like her safe haven.

Leaving the restaurant, he wrapped his hands around her waist, and that's when she noticed someone.

Oh, no!

It was her Uncle Nura, the youngest son of her paternal grandmother. Panic set in, and she moved away from Abdul's hold, fully aware of the potential chaos if news of her in another man's arms reached her family. It felt like she had committed a terrible crime.

She sat in the car while Abdul took a call outside. Determined to keep things under wraps, she failed to realize that his phone was connected to Bluetooth, revealing a caller ID – "Sofie am." Confusion set in. Was he talking to another woman? That, however, seemed trivial compared to the sinking feeling in her stomach. She loved Abdul, and she desperately hoped for a reasonable explanation. To cope with her anxiety, she dug her sharp nails into her thighs and bit the inside of her cheek.

"Who was that?" she asked as Abdul returned to the car.

"No one, just a colleague from work," he replied.

She nodded slowly, exhaling a breath of relief, and stared out the window.

"Baby, are you sure you're okay?" he asked, concern evident as he held her hand.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a slight headache," she replied.

"I'm sorry. I'll drive faster so you can rest, okay?"

He tapped her hand as she rested her head on the headrest.

A notification on her phone interrupted the moment. "Meet us at the main house Baba is waiting for you."

"Can you take me back home? Not to Ya Ahmad's, to my parents, please," she requested with a shaky voice.

Fear engulfed her.

"Jadwa, is everything fine?" Abdul's concern mirrored her own.

"Yes, it's just my dad, he's asking for me," she replied.

He nodded hesitantly and drove the car towards their house. Silence enveloped them as he was engrossed in his phone, and she closed her eyes, masking her anxiety.

She came from a strict northern family. After losing her mother at birth, the woman who raised her after her dad remarried was Ammi. She treated her, Ahmad, Hanan, and her as if she had birthed them, showing no distinction between her and her immediate younger sister.

As Abdul parked, she murmured a small thank you, grabbed her handbag, and exited the car. Not a single word left her mouth and tears pooled in her eyes. If Uncle Nura reported seeing her in another man's arms, chaos would ensue, a predicament she desperately hoped to avoid.

The door opened, and her father's message echoed in her ears. The looming confrontation with her strict family filled her with dread, as she faced the potential fallout from being spotted with Abdul, a situation she never anticipated.

Don't forget to share, vote and comment ❤️
FOLLOW MY INSTAGRAM @mayaaawrites