Eleven

Even after I got Chelsea and I to school earlier than usual. I decided to give her space because I still didn't really know why she was mad. I had stayed up until the the night before doing homework, so I wasn't in the mood to figure out her complicated feelings anyway.

"Hey, Alex, you're here awfully early," Jordan greeted. I sat next to her on the steps and shrugged.

"That's because someone is mad at me," I said, directing my gaze to Chelsea. She ignored me, leaning against the wall, phone in hand.

"Why's she mad?" Jordan asked.

"I wish I knew, but she won't tell me."

"Dang, dude, that's tough." I shrugged and saw her smile.

"I guess." She leaned on me, and I took out my phone and noticed I had a text from Ryan. I gave him my number the day we got assigned to do the movie project together.

It was a picture of me laying on his arm, eyes shut and my curls falling over my face. His camera must have been right in my face because it took up most of the frame. My face scrunched up at the sight of how gross I looked while I was sleeping. I quickly turned my phone screen away from Jordan who didn't notice.

'delete that ):<' I typed out. Ryan responded with a simple 'Nah' moments later. I sighed and closed my messages. As more of our friends came in and Ava started a conversation with Chelsea, I decided to make my exit. I walked up the stairs and felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and was greeted by Ryan.

"You walked away as soon as I walked over," Ryan said with a laugh. I smiled and shrugged.

"Sorry, I didn't see you," I told him.

"Jerk," he teased.

"Ass," I teased right back. He smiled and put his arm around me, walking down the hall with me to my class. I leaned against him a little as we walked. I caught myself doing it and immediately moved away from him. He dropped his arm from around me.

"Later, bitch," Ryan said.

"Wait," I blurted out. The word fell out of my mouth and allowed every other word I said after to fall out. "You want to hang out after school?"

I didn't know why I wanted to hang out with Ryan so bad, but I just did. Plus, today would be a good day to hang out with him since Chelsea was going to hang out with Jordan. Ryan smiled, not smirked or looked smug, but smiled. He seemed genuinely happy about me offering to hang out. It made me smile a little in turn.

"Sure," he told me.

"We can get food from downtown," I suggested.

"I don't have any money on me, though."

"Did I say you needed any?"

"I'll pay you back for it tomorrow, then."

I shook my head. It's not like I had millions and that money was no problem, but I didn't feel right taking money from him. It felt like buying a little kid something and expecting them to pay you back. Just wrong.

"Don't worry about it. Now go to class, be a good student," I said playfully. Ryan smiled.

"Just for you," he replied with the same tone and walked off. I watched him walk away, taking long strides. Of course, he would. His legs were like yard sticks. He turned back to me and threw me a peace sign, and I held up my middle finger in return, causing him to laugh, turn back around, and walk away. I smiled widely.

And the school day seemed to drag on that day. I didn't love school, but a school day never seemed to drag on as much as this one before. I practically stared at the clock in every class. Finally, at the end of my last class, Ryan and I walked out of the horrid, ugly building together.