Eighteen

Chelsea had not stopped asking me about who was in my room since Saturday. She really was serious about not dropping this. Except, now, she had the decency to not involve our mom. I refused to tell her. Partly because I knew she wouldn't handle it well, and partly because our future was unclear and uncertain. Why get her worked up over something that wouldn't last? I definitely didn't like the idea that we might not last, but it was a likely possibility. I hated it. 

We got to school and found our way to our group of friends. I made eye contact with Ryan who raised an eyebrow innocently. I mimicked his expression, and he smiled then looked back at his phone. My heart felt so weird when I was around him. It was so unfamiliar yet so enjoyable. I never wanted it to stop.

"Alex has a boyfriend," Chelsea announced, first thing. I slammed the back of my hand into her arm. I saw everyone's heads whip up to stare at me. Ryan even seemed surprised.

"Shut the fuck up, no, I don't," I replied. "She keeps saying that, but I don't." I made eye contact with Ryan who smiled. I could see how it was forced, how it didn't reach his eyes which held a look of disappointment.

"Someone came into his room on Friday. Was that any of you?" She analyzed everyone, and I groaned.

"No one was there, it was just me."

"Bull!" 

"Damn, Alex, you're a slut," Ryan joined in. Ava laughed.

"Hey, his room's so messy that whoever was there is probably lost under a pile of his junk," Ava joked. Everyone laughed, and I sarcastically laughed.

"Haha, you're a comedian," I told her.

"I wasn't joking." 

"Seriously, guys, come on!" Chelsea whined. "He's keeping secrets. We should tie him up and beat him."

"I wanna be the one to tie him up," Ryan said, smirking at me.

"I'm going to kick you in the mouth," I warned. His playful smirk turned into a genuine smile while I shook my head and tried to avoid the smile that always seemed to come across my face when I saw Ryan smile.

"Well, now we're all gonna keep asking until you tell us," Chelsea added, sounding triumphant.

"I bet you and Ryan finally got together, didn't you?" Ava asked with a smirk.

"I mean, we certainly can. Gotta give the people what they want, right?" Ryan smoothly answered. Ava giggled. I was relieved that he was so quick on his feet. 

"No, he has a boyfriend, but he goes to another school," Gabriel joked. I laughed and shook my head.

"I hate you guys," I told them and crossed my arms.

"Come on, we're going to class," Ava said, grabbing my arm and pulling me along. I turned around to look at Ryan one last time. He winked at me, and I quickly looked away from him, that stupid smile finally appearing on my face.

"Well?" Ava asked. I looked at her as we reached the classroom, and she stopped walking a few feet from the door.

"Well what?" I replied.

"Come on, who's your mystery man?" Shit. Lying to Chelsea was one thing. She wasn't as straightforward and critical as Ava. Chelsea preferred asking others for help was Ava was the one people came to for help.

"Really, Ava, you believe that?" I asked in a fruitless attempt to cover my ass.

"Yeah, you know why?" I shook my head.

"No clue," I said, honestly.

"When she said it, you got this little look. It was subtle, and you weren't looking at anyone. It's the little thing you do when you're guilty. Kind of like when Pam would talk about Jim on The Office. So spill your tea, bitch," she commanded. I raised my eyebrows.