7. Replacements & Romances

"We accept the love we think we deserve." - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

____________________________________________________________

  Breakfast is served the next morning while Jack, Ella and Martyn try to crack the riddle. Ella leans slightly on Jack as she reads the piece of paper the riddle written in Adrian's handwriting on the paper. Celia is with Adrian on the other side of the fire, feeding him some cereal to help with his battered arm. Tina and Ethan had become friends over night after sharing a cabin together and were sitting together on a log as they ate their breakfast.

  "Maybe it's another event we don't know about where some people for murdered," Martyn suggests while chomping on an apple violently.

  "Possibly, but that doesn't seem right..." Jack says.

  "For god's sake! Why can't we come up with anything?" Ella yells in frustrating, slamming her fist on Jack's shoulder in anger.

  "Hey, no need to take it out on me!" Jack says rubbing his shoulder.

  This only results in more anger and yelling. Even Martyn's knuckles look pale as his grips tightly on the paper.

  "Hey! Shut it!" Ethan suddenly yells. Jack and Ella fall silently and the three of them, along with Tina stare at him. "I have an idea."

  "Oh really?" Jack asks. "Spit it out then," he demands impatiently.

  "A place where many have died could be where someone was executed. Like a hanging tree or something," Ethan suggests.

  At first, everyone is silent when they look at Ethan. Why didn't they think of this before? It seemed so obvious!

  "Brilliant," Martyn yells with apple in his mouth. "Do we know any hanging trees?"

  "No, I haven't seen any!" Jack responds. "We are never going to find this bloody blue liquid thing."

  "We might as well go on a search for a hanging tree or something anyway," Ella points out.

  "What's the point? This island is too big to cover," Jack responds.

  "We're trapped on this island for the rest of our lives, we have another 50 years to kill so we should go searching," Ella's argument is strong, so Jack remains silent. Though he doesn't say it, he agrees with her.

  "Please may I join in on this little trip?" Ethan asks. "With one man down you are probably gonna need a replacement."

  Adrian suddenly butts into the conversation as soon as he hears what Ethan has said. "I'm fine. You don't need to replace me!"

  "Your arm could get infected on something. Can you even move it? I think it's to rest for a few days," Celia suggests, placing her hand on his shoulder.

  "Sorry mate, we're gonna miss your brains on the trip," Martyn says.

  "So shoul I come with you? We can find it sooner, then I can leave you alone and you guys won't have anything to do with me ever again," Ethan asks.

  "Yeah, you're coming with us. Might as well make yourself useful," Jack confirms. "Come on guys, let's get packed and sorted for the journey."

______

  "Hurry up Tina!" Jack yells across the cabin area.

  "Remind me why she is coming with us again?" Ella whispers to Jack.

  It is just after lunch and the six of them have finished packing for the search. Everyone is ready apart from Tina.

  "Ethan, you want to go and get her?" Martyn suggests. Ethan nods his head and rushes into Cabin 25 where Tina is doing last minute sorting.