46- sarcasm and staring contests

Simi sat on Malachi's bed waiting for him as he accompanied Asha to pick a car back to her place

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Simi sat on Malachi's bed waiting for him as he accompanied Asha to pick a car back to her place. Her emotions and thoughts were all over the place and she felt as if a thunderstorm was raging in her.

First she'd liked Elder but had never gotten any sign from him that he liked her too.
Then she'd fallen for Peter. Fallen so hard for him that she knew she wasn't over him.

Since they'd found out that he was part of the bad guys and since then, Simi had ignored his calls and texts.
The silent treatment was inhumane but she honestly didn't know what to say to him and didn't want to pretend. Abby hadn't confirmed it was Peter who killed Elder and she was sure it wasn't.

And now Asha and Malachi made her jealous. She'd pretended she was okay with them acting all lovey-dovey in front of her but she wasn't. Simi would never say it aloud but she was jealous of them and whether it was because they were happy or because she liked Malachi, she didn't even know.

I can't like Malachi. Sure he's a sweet guy sometimes but I'd have known if I'd liked him. And he likes flirty girls with innocent looks like Asha.

Simi replayed the morning's events for the third time while lying on Malachi's bed and suddenly sat upright. Something didn't make sense.
Asha hadn't looked very surprised when they had talked about almost finding out who killed Elder in front of her.
Was she pretending? Simi thought.

Whoa, slow down there Nancy Drew, Kai probably filled her in. Another voice in her head chastised her.

Simi closed her eyes tightly and willed herself to stop thinking too much. It was already making her head hurt. She finally decided to leave Malachi's place and get to her room for some sleep when her phone buzzed from the bed.

Warily, she picked it up and it was Julia Benson, Elder's sister. A smile slowly spread on her face and answered the call.
It was as if they hadn't talked to each other in a long time even though Simi had gone to her place not long ago.

While they chatted, the memory of Elder's little brother, Ezekiel pointing at their family portrait gnawed at her.
When Julia suggested she come over the following day for another sleepover since it was a weekend, Simi jumped at the opportunity.
Maybe, I can talk to Ezekiel more. No loose ends.

Immediately she thought that, guilt hit her. Her friend wanted them to spend time together and here she was thinking of using that to talk to her brother.

A loud commotion blasted from the hallway and Simi said to Julia,
"Hey girl, I have to go but I'll call you later."

"Alright. Take care Si."

"You too Jules."

Simi cut the call and opened the door to find out what was going on. She saw two soldiers dressed in black camo dragging two boys down the stairs. When they disappeared from view, she peered over the rail on the corridor and saw Malachi on the other side of the hostel, on Abby's floor. He had an equally confused look.

Out of Focus |finished|जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें