Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Mikai

I loved her and the kind heart she had. I also realized that I hadn't protected it. I had bruised it. Vicki too. Yet, here she was, allowing us both back in. It made me realize two things. One, my guilt over the affair and manipulation was deep. And secondly, anything or anyone that ever tried to hurt her again, would have to get by me.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes. She can come home. We'll figure this whole thing out."

"Okay. I'll tell her."

"No. I will." She said.

Holding hands, we walked back into the kitchen where Vicki was sitting with a cup of coffee. She looked up, eyes red with tissue in her hand. She had obviously still been crying. Aspyn walked over to her and hugged her.

"We discussed it and you can come back home. For now."

Vicki's face lit up.

"But...." Aspyn continued, putting her finger up. "I need to know if there is anything else I need to know. From either of you." she said, stepping back so that she had me in her sights as well.

"Absolutely not." I answered.

"What more could there be?" Vicki asked.

"I don't know. But, if it's anything else, this is your last chance to confess it. If I find out there are any other secrets, I promise, I am gone."

We both swore that she knew everything. I had never had another affair and I couldn't imagine that Vicki could have any other secrets. But what did I know? It just happened, she wasn't the only one that had been deceived.

Aspyn and I had been talking daily about the matter of divorcing and allowing me to legally wed Vicki so she could have a chance at keeping the girls. And, maybe in time, I could even adopt them if Po was willing. I knew that day was probably far off. I wasn't pushing the idea on Aspyn at all. She was seriously considering it as she watched us go back and forth to court with it ending in continuance after continuance.

We finally agreed that we would do it. We would file separation papers and after the baby was born, and I had signed the birth certificate, we would do an uncontested divorce. She was on my insurance and I wanted to be sure she was taken care of. And the baby too, of course.

It was her idea and I promise I hadn't pushed it in any way. When we told Vicki, she was ecstatic. A little too happy, I would say. The news would give her a fighting chance at keeping custody of the girls. There was that to be happy about.

One evening, the ladies had taken the children out for mommies and daughter's night. I was home and searching for my charger high and low. I know that Vicki and I have the same phone and sometimes she would borrow my charger. Or I would leave it in her room when I went to have my time with Aspyn.

I checked the sockets and then got down on my hands and knees to check under the bed. I saw something sticking out from between the mattress. It was a book. I pulled it out and it was black and said Journal in gold letters.

"Vicki keeps a diary. That's cute." I said, smiling to myself.

I went to stuff it back under the mattress and dropped it. When it hit the floor, it opened to a page that said, 'The List.' I glanced down and saw at least seven sentences that had been crossed off. The third to the last one caught my attention. It said, 'Cause Aspyn and Kai to get divorced so he can marry me.