Flames

LEVI'S POV

I dragged (F/N) behind me through the trees for several miles, until we reached the abandoned village we had stayed at the night before. Without horses, and on foot, it seemed so much farther from the outpost that we had come across that morning.

I glanced behind me at (F/N) as we entered the village. She had stopped crying several miles ago, going silent, and I could see the numbness that had come across her face, the dried tear stains cutting pathways down through the spray of dried maroon blood that covered her cheeks.

I quickly checked each house again as we walked silently through the darkening village. I wanted to make sure none of those bastards had shown up since we had been gone and taken refuge in the abandoned buildings without us knowing. I made my search quick, as the rain had started up again, and I knew being out in the cold, constant drizzle wasn't going to do (F/N) any good in her already shocked state.

We reached the house where we had stayed the night before and I pushed in through the closed door, my blades still drawn, just in case. I scanned the dark room, noting that there was still some dry firewood left. Good, I could get a fire going and warm up the damp, chilled air a bit at least.

I realized that (F/N) hadn't followed me into the room. She was still standing in the doorway, the rain from the roof dripping down onto her head in a steady stream. "OI, (L/N)." I called out to her, knowing that she wouldn't move if I didn't make her. "Get in here out of the rain."

She trudged into the room, still not saying a word, and without removing her wet cloak, slumped down against the far wall, curling her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around herself. I watched her for a moment, knowing I could attempt to say something, but that nothing I could say would make her feel any less empty inside. I knew, because I had come to know the feeling well, and knew that no matter who tried to help, there was nothing to be said. Nothing that would make it alright.

I noticed her shivering and started to gather together a small pile of the dry kindling, hoping that if I could get a fire going, it would warm up the room enough to keep us comfortable for the night.

After gathering together all the dry wood I could find, I stacked it in the center of the room, and soon, I had a small, crackling flame going, lighting up the dark shadows of the room with warm, orange light.

I glanced over at (F/N) again. She hadn't moved. She was staring into the orange flames, lost deep in thought.

I walked over and sat down beside her against the wall, turning to her as I said, "Oi, (L/N)." She flicked her eyes over to me, and the emptiness, the hurt held within her gaze, made my heart ache within my chest. I felt the need to say something, anything, even if I knew it wouldn't make her feel any better. "You couldn't have saved him you know."

Anger flashed across her gaze and I saw her clench her fists at her sides as she said under her breath, "Maybe I could have....maybe I could have done something...but you..." Her hands shook at her sides. She met my gaze again, the anger bright in her eyes, livening every feature of her face, and suddenly screamed, "You took me away! This is all your fault! This is. All. Your. Fault!"

She lunged at me, swinging her fists. I didn't move. I didn't say anything. I sat there, completely still, completely silent, letting her hit me as many times and wherever she liked.

She needed someone to blame. She needed some logical reason for what had happened. She needed something to cling to, something that made it all make sense, or she'd go insane with the pain and the emptiness.

Her swings didn't hurt me. Even through her anger, she wasn't really trying to injure me. She could have, if she'd wanted, but she just needed to channel the anger into something physical, just for a moment, even if it wasn't really accomplishing anything.