Plan

We sat around a large table in the meeting room of headquarters, Erwin standing in front of us, deep in quiet conversation with one of the commanders of the Garrison.

Hange sat next to me, busily scribbling notes on a sheet of paper in front of her, her eyes alight with excitement behind her glasses. I could only guess that she was still writing about her study.

Levi entered the room and sat down beside me, leaning back in his chair as he glanced over at Hange and then flicked his eyes to me. He raised a dark eyebrow at me when I met his gaze and asked quietly, "How was being four-eyes guinea pig for the afternoon?"

I lifted my shoulder slightly in a shrug and responded back in a low voice, "It was fine."

He straightened in his chair and leaned forward, his clasped hands resting on the table in front of him. "Did she ask you about that bastard?" He muttered under his breath to me, so no one else would hear.

I nervously played with my fingers in my lap for a moment, averting my gaze away from him before I finally responded in a barely audible voice, "Yeah."

He picked up a pen sitting on the table in front of him and forcefully tapped it end over end against the wooden surface before saying out of the corner of his mouth, "And did you tell her?"

"No." I shook my head slightly, still avoiding looking over at him.

He dropped the pen back onto the table and sat back in his chair again, crossing his arms over his chest as he did so. When he spoke again, his voice was slightly louder and laced with anger. "Well, you should have. That son of a bitch deserved everything he had coming to him."

I couldn't help it. The simmering rage beneath his words made my heart leap in my chest, and a warmth spread through my body as I glanced over at him, meeting his dark, intense gaze. Some part of him still cared about me, even if he wouldn't admit it.

Erwin stepped up to the table, clearing his throat loudly as the Garrison leader he had been speaking to took a seat beside us. He glanced over each one of us, his heavy eyebrows furrowed, and then announced, "You all know why we're here."

"Because there's a gigantic abnormal titan bastard on the loose and none of us knows how to kill it?" Levi spoke up in a dry voice from beside me, still leaned back nonchalantly in his chair, his dark eyes as flat and emotionless as usual.

Erwin ignored his sarcastic comment and motioned to the Garrison leader next to him. "Commander Richston has confirmed our fears. There are no holes in the wall. Which means that this abnormal, whatever control it has over the others, it is using other means to get the titans through our defenses."

Hange's frantic writing stopped and she looked up at Erwin, her brow furrowed in thought as she said, "We know the beast titan can climb the walls. Nanabe's group saw it happen." She put the pen to her lips and tapped it against her skin a few times in thought. "But that doesn't explain how it's getting the other titans inside."

Suddenly, a thought occurred to me. A thought that made my stomach drop violently.

"That cadet....Springer." I spoke up in the silence and everyone's attention turned to me. I pushed forward, even though I felt suddenly nervous to voice my opinion. "His village. There were no signs that the townspeople had been eaten. No blood, no gore. But there was destruction. And there was a titan there." I glanced at Levi out of the corner of my eye, knowing if anyone thought what I was going to say next was completely insane, it would be him. I just had to hope he'd let me finish. I flicked my eyes back to Erwin, who was waiting for me to finish. "A titan that couldn't have walked there. It's legs were too emaciated. And Springer said in his report that it spoke to him...in our language...and it looked like his mother." I took in a deep breath. "What if, the control that this abnormal holds over the others, what if it's not just limited to titans? What if, somehow, it's creating titans inside of the wall? Out of our people?"