Proof

When we reached the location where we intended to take on the beast titan, Erwin pulled his horse up in front of us, eyebrows creased in concentration, as he called out to us, "Alright. We're here. Everyone knows their places. Follow the plan to the letter." He motioned to the scouts on the left side of the squad. "Squad Commander Hange, your squad will take the flank nearest the wall."
Hange nodded, her eyes glinting with anticipation, and said briskly, "Yes, Commander Erwin." She motioned to her squad of scouts as she kicked her horse forward into a gallop, calling out over her shoulder, "Squad, move out!" Her scouts left the main group behind, following close on her tail, and disappeared toward the wall in a cloud of dust.

Erwin turned his gaze to the other side of the group and stated loudly, "Squad Commander Lewis, your squad will be handling the left flank."

The serious faced older man ducked his head to Erwin in understanding. "Understood, sir." He motioned for his scouts to follow him. "Let's move, cadets!" He kicked his horse forward, his squad following his lead, and they disappeared into the thick forest to our left.

Finally, Erwin turned back to Levi and I. He let out a tired sigh, as if now that it was just him and the special forces, he could finally show a bit of the weight that was on his shoulders. He steeled himself and turned determined eyes to Levi. "Ackerman, you'll ride forward with me. You will bring the entire special forces with you, except Jaeger. We need to make this seem as unsuspicious as possible. Having a full squad should do that. We'll be the bait so to speak."

Erwin turned his blue eyes to me, his gaze cool and commanding as he said in a serious tone, "Corporal (L/N). I've given you the most important job of all." He glanced to Jaeger, who sat silently atop of his mount beside me. "You will be accompanying Jaeger to his predetermined location. Once the signal has been given and Jaeger has taken titan form, you are to circle back around and join us at the front, but not before then. I want you to be with Jaeger at all times until then. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, Commander." I said, my voice reflecting the fact that I realized this was an important matter and I'd do my utmost to not disappoint him.

He nodded to me and then turned back to Levi. "Well then, we'd best be going. We wouldn't want to keep that bastard waiting for too long." He jerked his horse's head around and kicked its sides, starting off forward again at a brisk trot.

"Oi, (L/N)."

I glanced over at Levi, who was watching me with dark, unreadable eyes. He raised an eyebrow at me and said in a severe tone, "Don't be an idiot and get into any trouble. I don't want you to prove yourself right in the fact that I can't ever care about anyone because they just go and get themselves killed."

My mouth dropped open slightly, I couldn't find the words to reply to him. Had he really just said that, in front of everyone?

Without another word or backward glance, Levi dug his heels into his stallion's side and took off after Erwin, the rest of the cadets from the special forces close behind him, enveloped in a cloud of dust.

After they had disappeared, I shook my head to clear my thoughts and turned to look at Jaeger, who was looking a bit pale as he sat on his mount, staring after the squad that had disappeared from our view.

I reached out and clapped him on the shoulder. When he looked at me, I gave him a reassuring smile and said, "Everything'll be fine, Jaeger." I glanced up at the sun, which was just now directly above us, then back to him, motioning to him as I said, "Now come on, we need to get in position."

We rode through the trees in silence, the only sound our horses hooves thudding against the moss covered ground, and the sound of an occasional lone bird call.