Ch. 9 I promise you that I am not going to laugh at you

Caroline walks up to the dining table, and she sits down. Caroline turns her head to look out the window, and she worriedly bites her lips when she sees Charlie and the rest of the search party enter the forest. 

Caroline blinks when she sees a cup of hot chocolate in front of her. Caroline turns her head, and she sees Jacob standing by her side. Caroline's expression softens as she takes the coffee mug with her hands while carefully placing it in front of her at the dining table. 

" Thank you," Caroline softly smiles at Jacob. 

Jacob nods his head as he sits down adjacent of Caroline. 

Caroline quietly drinks her hot chocolate as she begins to think about Stefan and Bella. 

Jacob slowly drinks his hot chocolate as he watches Caroline from the corner of his eyes. Jacob began eyeing Caroline from head to toe. Jacob noticed that Caroline has long wavy blonde hair, blue-green eyes, heart-shaped face, pale skin, and a slim, toned, and athletic figure. Jacob can't help but wonder if Caroline plays any sports. 

" Hey, Caroline," Jacob calls out to Caroline. 

Caroline turns her head to look at Jacob. 

Caroline's blue-green eyes stared into Jacob's dark brown eyes. 

" Yes?" Caroline blinks. 

" Do you play any sports back in your hometown?" Jacob curiously asked Caroline. " Your arms have some muscles to them," Jacob tells Caroline. 

Caroline shakes her head. 

" No. I don't play any sports," Caroline tells Jacob. " I used to be a cheerleader. I have been a cheerleader since Freshmen year. I became Captain of the Cheer Squad during my Junior year in Mystic Falls High School," Caroline happily explains to Jacob. " Sadly, due to some circumstances, I'm not going to do cheer this year," Caroline sadly sighs. 

Jacob could tell that Caroline has a soft spot for cheer. Jacob didn't know why, but he didn't like seeing Caroline looking sad. Jacob unknowingly placed his left hand on top of Caroline's right hand. 

" Why not?" Jacob curiously asked Caroline, which causes her to look at him. " I-I mean you sound happy when you talk about cheer," Jacob tells Caroline. 

Caroline's eyes saddened, which causes Jacob to frown. 

" My M-Mom recently passed away," Caroline tells Jacob while a tear fell from her eyes. 

Jacob's eyes widened when he hears that Caroline's Mom recently passed away. Jacob stays quiet as he imagined Caroline alone in the cemetery. Standing a few feet away from Caroline was her Mom's friends. Meanwhile, her Mom's casket is getting buried. It reminded Jacob of the time his mother passed away when he was nine-years-old. 

Jacob's left hand lightly grasped Caroline's right hand. 

" I'm sorry," Jacob whispers. " I know what it is like to lose someone you care about," Jacob softly tells Caroline. " You probably don't remember, but my Mom passed away when I was nine. Till this day, I blame myself for what happened to her," Jacob sadly tells Caroline while looking at her in the eyes.

Caroline quietly stared at Jacob. 

Caroline remembered attending Jacob's Mother's funeral. Caroline was eleven almost twelve when Elizabeth told her that her Godmother named Sarah Black nee Wilde passed away in a terrible accident. They had to leave Mystic Falls to attend Sarah's funeral at the Quileute tribe in La Push Reservation, Washington. That is where Caroline saw nine-year-old Jacob crying by himself near a tree.