Part 10

Harriet, Lola, Yasmin, Stella and I were in the day room playing cards after dinner.
Most girls were in this room to spend the evening with others, but everyone was paying attention when the prince came by.

He stuck his head in and called for Natasha. She got up, way too overexcited and rushed out the door, her giggles echoing through the room as she left with the prince.

Murmurs travelled throughout the room that she was having a date with the prince.
It was strange how some girls reacted. Genevieve stood and left, Remy and Indiana looked disappointed.
Stella put down her cards and looked at the girls around our table.

"This sucks. What did Natasha and Hadley do to get dates already? Have they done something we haven't?" She complained, leaning her face against the tanned skin of her palm.

"I'm sure he's going to get through everyone, since 5 minutes with each of us isn't much time." I add in and Yasmin nods in agreement.

"I wonder what they do on the dates." Harriet questions, looking over at me.
For a moment us girls just sat listening to our own thoughts before Lola piped up.

"Hadley said they went horse riding on her date, she was saying they have a whole stable and everything."

Lola had been one of the girls listening to Hadley talk about her date all through dinner. I hadn't bothered to focus in since it didn't interest me all that much.

A few maids offered hot drinks and desserts around and I took a chocolate mousse from the tray.
The chocolate was smooth, rich and creamy. Harriet sipped on her hot chocolate along with Lola who also had one.

Stella and Yasmin decided to head to get ready for bed and I was almost swayed to do the same myself.
It was strange to be getting ready to sleep in a whole new environment. I didn't know the people, I didn't know the place, it was all so unfamiliar.

"I'm going to get ready for bed." I say to the girls, excusing myself as I stand up. Harriet gives me a smile and Lola waves. As I head out the door the two girls start chatting away, lost in conversation.

I go upstairs and manage to get back to my room without getting lost.

I crank up the heating to make it a little cosier in here.

I rummage through the walk in wardrobe for something to sleep in.
Putting on some more comfortable sleeping clothes, I change into a night gown. The smooth silk felt nice but ice cold against my skin.

I press the buttons beside the intercom to shut the blinds and dim the lights.
Crawling onto the massive bed that feels extra soft and crisp.

Pulling the covers over myself and shutting my eyes, I try to sleep. But no matter what I can't seem to and I toss and turn.

Minutes pass, feeling like hours, without a wink of sleep. I try to get comfortable any way I can, lying sideways and even on my stomach, but nothing seems to help.

I push the covers off and get out of the bed, standing to face the mirror. I peak out of the curtains and see the dark sky outside, the silent stillness of the night.

I decide to go on a short walk to tire myself out, so push open the door to my room with a click. No one appears to be around in the corridor so I quietly tip toe in bare feet down the hall.

I pace down hall quietly until I see a flashlight from a phone flicking around the walls.
I hide in a dip in the wall as the person comes around the corner.

"Alex?" I question in a harsh whisper.

Alexandra comes around the corner with her phone in hand, hugging her nightgown around herself. She shines her light toward me but I flinch backwards so she moves it away.