Part 26

Things between the Prince and I had been a little strained since our conversation yesterday. I tried making eye contact to gain his attention to talk but he seemed content with chatting up all the other girls.

I think I was becoming paranoid. Everyone had been fighting for his attention with the eliminations around the corner.

Since it had been a few weeks since coming to the palace, the prince encouraged us to send a letter or package home to our families.

I had written a letter in the day room with Harriet and we had decorated them with sparkly pens. It wasn't something I did often, since I could easily text or call, but it was a fun activity.

Some girls had packages of sweets or photographs to send to their parents, friends or siblings. Genevieve just sent her parents a text, complaining that writing a letter would strain her hands.
Stella was giving her younger sister a teddy bear that had a big bow around its neck and a love heart sewn into its chest.

Penny came in abruptly and was holding a brown satchel bag. She said it was a special gift for her sister.
Even though I swear she had told me the other day that she had been so glad to get away from her 2 brothers, no mention of a sister.

Her story didn't add up to me.

The paranoia of everything was getting to me I think.

Whatever was in her bag though seemed to be weighing Penny down by the way she was carrying it.

I leant forward to peak inside and caught a glimpse of something shiny, but she moved slightly, knocking into me and caused me to trip forward.

Penny, myself and the bag went flying.

What was surprising was what fell out of the bag.

A sprawl of jewels, from necklaces to earrings, tumbled from the satchel, all gemstone encrusted and expensive looking. Everyone in the day room silenced, including the prince who had been chatting to some of the girls unaware.

It was silent until the princess cried out.

"My necklace! She stole my necklace!"

✿✿✿

The prince took Penny and his sister from the room immediately while a handful of maids collected the taken jewels.
"Do you really think she was trying to take the jewels? Give them to her family?" Stella asked the room of girls.

We all stood huddled in a uneven circle around where Penny's bag had been dropped.

"I don't see the point. We are already living in luxury and our families receive compensation. What's the need for more?" Genevieve muttered, more concerned with the state of her hair than the actual situation at hand.

"Maybe she didn't steal them." I suggest but I'm shot a few looks, from Genevieve in particular, like that's absurd.

"Of course she took them. They fell from her bag, they didn't just magically appear in there." Gen explains as she waves her hands around while she talks, shooting me a glare.

"I'm sure Penny didn't mean it." Freya said, trying to stick up for her friend.

"If that's even her real name." Lexi hissed under her breath.

The room went deadly silent and everyone was looking around at everyone else. Some with glares and others with concerned faces.
Genevieve muttered something unintelligible about Penny before she and many of the other girls made way to the exit.
Before anyone could leave Prince Thomas came through the doors.

He looked completely serious and hurried, clearing his throat.

"Lady Isabelle, come with me."

His tone had changed, totally and utterly serious. For a second I was scared of his authority. He seemed to be taking the current events seriously.