Part 51

Returning back to the palace Thomas immediately called a meeting with the final 7 selected girls.

We were gathered in one of the sitting rooms and Thomas stood before us, looking away from the girls as he gathered his thoughts.
Beside me on the massive couch was Hadley, a comfortable amount of room for all of us as that is sofa could fit up to 10 people easily.

I had removed my gloves and hat, sitting comfortably as I gazed out the curtain draped windows into the gardens.
Hadley and Harriet were chatting away with Olive. Lexi was even commenting here and there, she seemed to be really friendly recently after her date with the prince.

Over the other side of the couch were Natasha and Daisy, who were chatting about different nail patterns they had done in the salon today.

Thomas didn't look at any of us girls directly, turning to face us and clearing his throat to gain our attention.
"Ladies, as you know all the dates have finished up, and we have our Christmas Eve ball tomorrow." He began and glanced along the row of us watching him intently, "As this competition is coming to an end I don't want to lead anyone on. So I'm going to narrow it down to the final 3."

There was a few gasps and Hadley took my hand nervously, giving me an unsure glance.

I was also nervous myself, extremely, but I didn't want to show it. I ducked my head as I waited for him to continue.

"But." Thomas said again, adjusting the collar of his sleeve nervously, "You will all be able to stay for Christmas Day at the palace even if you are not still in the selection." He finished.

"If I call your name, you are one of the remaining 3 girls in the selection." The prince paused and I could tell he was finding this difficult, having 7 girls before him that all were after the same thing.

"Daisy."

Daisy gave a happy gasp and thanked the prince briefly and politely. He then asked her to leave the room so she stood and sent me a cheerful glance before exiting the room.

"Harriet."

Harriet jumped from her seat and wrapped the prince in a loving hug, smothering him with her affection. She thanked him and he whispered something back quietly, Harriet beaming happily.

Harriet didn't look back at us other's kindly like Daisy, but more with sympathy, as she headed out the door.

Prince Thomas took a breath before looking back at us remaining for girls.
"And Isabelle."

I sighed with relief and Hadley gave my hand a squeeze, looking over at me with a sad smile.

I stood, my hands still shaky, and went to the prince, taking his hand in mine. "Thank you, Tom." I say and he gives me a loving smile.

"Anytime Bells." He replies in a whisper and gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

I nod and look to the girls still on the couch, a variety of upset expressions across their faces, then leave the room quickly.
I hear Thomas vaguely on my way out start saying, "Thank you for coming and I appreciate all of you in different ways, but you should understand this is for the best."

I didn't hear anything once I was out of the room and I came to the corridor where Daisy and Harriet were waiting.

"Isabelle I knew you'd make it." Daisy swept me up in a friendly hug and smiled brightly and truely.
Harriet gave me a hug too and shot me a smile, fussing with her hair so it looked perfect.

"Congratulations to you guys too." I say and they look at me happily.
Daisy seems so joyful, rocking on the balls of her feet excitedly and fiddling with her silver necklace.