Towards Freedom

•∆•∆•

(Not my photo, here's where I found it https://weheartit.com/entry/326415424)

•∆•∆•

I was staring at the white wooden door, thoughts revolving inside my head. "It must be locked, right?" ; "Why would they leave it unlocked?" ; "What would I do when I get out of here?" "What will- alright, calm down. You'll get through this somehow. If I get attacked, I'm not going down without a figh- " with this I realised. I needed a weapon.

I knew I didn't have any scissors/a box cutter on me. So I started looking around the room. The desk didn't have any drawers. "Well that's a dumb desk" I thought. But then I remembered how much I hated my small, unsymmetrical desk with drawers just on one side. It wasn't comfortable at all.
There was a light grey lamp on this desk, nothing more. I sighed.

I scanned the room which should have been familiar to me by now. "I wonder how long I've been here.. Judging by the sun, it is late in the morning." But I couldn't be too sure. The only times I used the sun as a clock were in freaking Minecraft.

Then I saw a nightstand on the right of the bed. I saw it before but since it's an usual asset of a bedroom, I didn't pay too much attention to it and thus didn't remember its existence when needed.

I walked rapidly to it and yanked the drawers open. They were empty. Of course.. except for a small box of napkins. "Well that's random. Are they poisoned with gas or something? Okay, this is not the right time to think about stupid things. I wouldn't have touched them anyways." But what if it was a clue? And thus again, I was being attacked by my "helpful" thoughts. "What if it's a sick game? I got kidnapped and there are clues and maybe a hidden passage-" That was getting ridiculous. I shook my stupid thoughts and closed the drawers slowly.

"Alright, door it is." I said to myself and approached it with slow steps. I gulped, reaching for the handle, but retracted my hand quickly. "What if there is a trap right outside? That's so stupid, it's too forward, traps don't work like that."

Then I got an idea. If there was someone outside ready to attack me, stopping me from getting closer to my destination - my home, I must be able to hear them. I put my ear on the door and listened carefully. Nothing. I couldn't hear anything besides of course, my main organ of the cardiovascular system pumping the blood and I could feel the adrenaline ready to activate my flight or flight response.

This was getting annoying. It was too calm. Don't get me wrong, that was a good thing, "I don't think I would have liked if I woke up naked in a dungeon or something." I got shivers just by thinking about that.

But at the same time it wasn't. It was the calm before the storm. It is known how the terrifying part doesn't scare you as much as the tension and suspense beforehand. An illusion of calmness and safety that prepares you for the revelation of the horrific thing. Even if you know it's coming, the pressure clouds your rational thinking.

A side of me was getting annoyed with me taking so much time. I was battling between my supposedly intelligent and calculated side and the one which is short tempered and impulsive. Alright, fine, I had to do this at one point. I didn't just run towards it and pushed hard on the handle because I thought someone might notice and catch me by surprise. So I had to take this slow, I had to be smart. "Pshht. Smart. Me." I scoffed mentally. I never thought of myself as a smart person.

Finally, I slowly put my hand on the cold handle. I bit my bottom lip, scared I might have triggered something. I froze for a few seconds. Hearing nothing, I proceeded. I slowly tensed my arm and started pushing the handle down, giving it a light pull. Sweat was streaming down my entire body. "Ugh, why am I so sweaty.."
I expected the door to respond to my actions with nothing. I expected to feel the door locked, but it started to open.