𝐢.

Hazel Moone couldn't help but let out a breath of air as she plopped down in the chair of her Home Economics class. But with a glance at the empty seat beside her, her mood dropped, and she groaned. Hazel pulled out her notebook, and all but slammed it on the table.

"Of all days," she hissed with a roll of her eyes. Her usual desk mate, Christian, was also one of her closest friends. "You sack of shit."

Today was the day everyone would get their partner for their Home Ec assignment. The much-beloved 'Baby Care' project. Two people would be partnered up to take care of a robotic baby as if it were their own for two weeks. None of the teenagers knew how they would be partnered up, so Hazel hoped it was by who they sat beside. Now her hope had crumbled.

"You all know what today is!" Mrs. Keery cheered as the entered the classroom with all her usual flamboyance. Her arms spread and her usual smile plastered on her face make-up caked face. "Time to find out who will be the couples looking after the babies!"

Mrs. Keery's joyous and boisterous voice could easily give anyone a headache if they weren't used to it. Hazel slumped over her desk, not ready for what would happen. She dreaded the thought of being paired with someone she disliked or someone she would rather not be around.

"I will call your names and you will come up and pick a piece of paper out of this hat." Mrs. Keery held up a bucket hat Hazel was sure had been taken from one of Mrs. Keery's kids. "The paper will have a number on it, and at the end, you must try and find the person with the same number. This will be your partner for the project."

Some students groaned at the explanation, Hazel included. One kid began to raise their hand. "No swapping paper or partners. You get what you get, and you don't get upset." Mrs. Keery stated.

Hazel let out a small chuckle. That was definitely one thing Mrs. Keery's kids said. She quickly began the list of names, starting with Alice Cullen. She was a weird, flawless, petite girl who was the adopted daughter of Dr. Carlisle Cullen and his wife. She grinned and practically skipped up to the hat, delicately drawing out one of the slips of paper.

After she sat back down, Mrs. Keery called Jasper Cullen up. He stood from his usual spot next to his girlfriend-slash-adopted sister. Hazel noted his stiff body as he grabbed a slip and quickly retreated to his seat.

"Hazel Moone," Mrs. Keery chirped after a few more names. Hazel slipped off her seat and shuffled to the front of the classroom. "I wonder who you'll get!" Mrs. Keery commented quietly, but still with much enthusiasm.

Hazel picked her piece of paper and slunk back to her table. The girl noticed Alice Cullen gazing at her with a grin, so she awkwardly smiled back. Hazel opened the slip she had to see the number three written in scrawl on it. She folded it back up and patiently waited for everyone else.

"Alrighty!" Mrs. Keery smiled, peering out at everyone. "Now, it's time for you to find your partner." Begrudgingly, everyone got off their seats and began to wander around, asking the other kids. Hazel, however, continued to stay seated.

"Hi!" Hazel turned her head toward the cheery voice to see Alice Cullen standing beside her with a grin. "What number do you have?"

"Three," Hazel replied, staring right back. Alice somehow beamed larger and happily took the seat beside the girl.

"That makes us partners then, Hazel." Alice extended her hand towards her new partner. "Nice to meet you, I'm Alice Cullen."

"Hazel Moone," Hazel replied, grasping Alice's hand. She held in a gasp at the chilly temperature as she shook it. "Nice to meet you, too."

"I can't wait to meet our baby!" Alice gushed, then laughed at herself. Hazel nodded, unsure of what to say in response.

"Everyone found their partner?" Mrs. Keery inquired, looking to make sure no one was alone. She nodded. "Great. Now it's time for you to meet the babies." The teens watched as their teacher walked into the storeroom and slowly dragged out a large clear tub. The babies inside were clear for everyone to see.

Each robotic baby was different. From their skin tone to their clothes and even their hair length. No one spoke as Mrs. Keery picked up an Asian one with a short bob that wore a pink floral dress. She grinned and held it on the air.

"These are your children now, kids." Everyone snickered. "I shall know if something bad happens to them. They're all connected to a tablet in my office. I will deduct points for any misbehavior that happens." Hazel gazed intently at the baby and gulped.

Alice had better be committed to this.

Everyone sat, watched, and waited as Mrs. Keery explained. Then she activated the babies and handed them out. Alice keenly took it and turned to look at Jasper. She proudly displayed the baby to him before doing the same to Hazel. They had received a caramel-skinned child with spiked black hair.

"Do you want to come to my house this afternoon?" Alice asked as she cradled the robotic child. "We're supposed to write a fictional backstory for our lives, so would you like to?" Hazel contemplated the Cullen girl's offer, going to the Cullen residence, before giving Alice a curt nod.

Alice grinned. She immediately whipped out her phone and hurriedly began texting her family to inform them of her plans. She took a look back at Hazel, so excited Jasper could feel it radiating off her from the other side of the room.