chapter 1: dinnerless

if there are any grammar mistakes/spelling mistakes, just leave a comment there and i'll fix it.
enjoy!
———

"When we fall, we're supposed to get up, but it's better that you stay there

"When we fall, we're supposed to get up, but it's better that you stay there... with him on the cold ground because the world is colder," An unknown voice said in my head. I'm still asleep, aren't I?

My eyes fluttered as rays of sunlight hit them. It was a Saturday in late September, so I had turned off my alarms to get some extra sleep in, but the sun clearly didn't agree with my sleeping plans.

I searched my dresser for my phone and turned it on. There were 2 missed calls from my dad.

While in bed, I called him back, "Hey Dad!" I said groggily.

"Good morning, Rosetta," He greeted. My name is Scarlet, but my dad calls me by my middle name, Rosetta. My dad is one of the biggest and richest businessmen in Scarsdale, New York. He owns Thompson's Inc. I guess you can say that I grew up in a wealthy household.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, slightly worried. No matter what happens, my Dad never tells me about how he's feeling - mentally and physically.

"Yes, everything is alright. I was just wondering if you wanted to spend some time with your old father?" He asked. As if I would say no.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I? Wait—" I stop. This is a trap just like every other phone call he's made to me, "Dad— is this another one of those dinner meetings?"

"Yes..." He trails off.

"No, dad, I don't want to go to some boring dinner meeting," I said over the phone, annoyed.

Recently, for whatever reason, every single dinner my dad's invited to he drags me along. Perhaps it was to fill the gap my mother left when they divorced each other. Their divorce was quick, my mother wasn't fully satisfied with the relationship - at least that's what she says.

"It's only going to be four people including me and you," my dad said, "We're meeting Jason Vanderbilt and his son."

Jason Vanderbilt: he was another one of the biggest businessmen in Scarsdale until he handed his whole company to his son, Jackson Vanderbilt. Now Jackson owns the company. I don't know much about Jackson Vanderbilt, but I've heard he's an asshole and that's not ideal.

"Fine, dad." I can't continue arguing with him, I don't have the energy.

"Thanks, Rose. I'll send you the address, the dinner starts at six," he said.

"Alright, bye dad."

"Bye Rosie."

I sighed and hung up. I'm twenty-three for goodness sake, but this is how I was raised - to be obedient.

Sighing, I went right back to sleep. It's Saturday, what else would you expect me to do? Go to a club? Pfft.

★ ★ ★