chapter 17: noteless

I still have to pack, and get to the airport, which is like over a half an hour away

As I walk back into the office, I look at Jackson, who's on his over the phone meeting. I walk over to him, but he shakes his head, gesturing for me to stay away - because he's busy.

How am I supposed to tell him I have to go? I walk back to my desk and write a quick note. Then, I fold it up and put it next to him. Jackson looks up and furrows his brows. He takes a stack of papers and puts it on top of the note.

Fucking asshole.

I walk back to my desk and point at the post-it note with Daniel's number on it as a way of telling him I'm going home. Jackson nods and continues talking.

Dialing the number, I walk down to the lobby. I ask Daniel to pick me up and drive to Jackson's place then to the airport.

I wait impatiently at the doors of the building. If I miss this flight, my mother with come here just to yell at me. I love her, but dad and her have always been so invasive and controlling.

After five minutes, Daniel arrives, and I get into his car. We get home, and it feels like time is just flying by. I unlock the front door, and hurry upstairs.

I empty the small carry-on-type bag and fill it with a few clothes since I'd only be there for the weekend.

As I'm done packing my bag, I check one more time if I need anything.

If I had known about this trip, I would have packed earlier. Stuff like this pisses me off. Why can't my parents just tell me ahead of time that they're dragging me into some mess.

Carefully, I take my bag and walk downstairs. You never realize how much of a pain in the ass stairs are until you're carrying shit up or down them.

I run outside to the car, and I tell Daniel to start driving to the airport, "Does Mr. Vanderbilt know you're leaving?"

"Yeah," I lie, well, technically it's not a lie because I gave him a note, and if he doesn't read it, it's not my fault. After that, Daniel doesn't say anything, which I'm grateful for.

After about fourty-five minutes later, we finally got to JFK International Airport. "Would you like me to come inside, Ms. Thompson?" Daniel asks.

"No, thank you though. I think I'll be fine," I say as I take out my carry-on bag. He waves at me, and I smile back.

I drag my bag inside and begin looking for the check in line for the flight my mother booked - without asking me. Finally, I find my flight's line and get in it.