Chapter 99: Ambush

Toph suddenly perked up, "Sokka's coming!"

We all sat up and glued our eyes to the hill. He's got to be back. I can't take this anymore.

"Hey guys, what are you doing?" he was back.

All four of us sprang up and hugged him.

"Sokka!"

"You're back!"

"We missed you so much!"

"Say something funny!"

"Funny how?" he asked, and that was enough for Aang, Katara and I to burst into laughter.

He turned to Toph, "What's their deal?"

"I don't know. They missed you or something, I didn't care."

"Thanks, that warms my heart. Anyway, I need some help."

Sokka could ask for just about anything right now and I'd do it. I'll do anything but nothing.

~

He wanted us to roll the meteor from last night all the way up to the castle on the hill. Apparently, he had gotten good enough at the basics that Master Dian Pao was helping him make a sword of his own, and in Sokka's case, of any material he wanted.

So Sokka, Katara and I rolled it up the hill with pure might while Aang and Toph dragged behind and gave us boosts with earthbending.

After only a couple of minutes, we were at the door of the castle with a meteor.

Sokka ran up and banged on the doors unceremoniously.

A very tall man with greyish-black hair and burgundy robes answered.

His eyes trailed over all of us, "Who's this?"

"Oh, these are my friends. Just other good Fire Nation folks," Sokka smiled, "Do you think we could make a sword out of a meteorite?"

"We'll make a sword unlike any other in the world..."

Instead of retreating back to camp and falling under another endless spell of boredom, we decided we wanted to see a sword unlike any other in the world being made.

And it did not disappoint. First, it was the fire. Which Sokka kept hot enough throughout the day that melted the meteorite into a silky black liquid. When it eventually resembled magma with a bright fiery glow it was poured into a mold, straightened and cooled.

Far more interesting than giving Aang and Katara geography lessons.

~

The next day, Sokka was to be presented with his new sword, and then we'd be on our way.

"Sokka, when you first arrived, you were so unsure. You even seemed down on yourself. But I saw something in you right away. I saw a heart as strong as a lion turtle, and twice as big. And as we trained, it wasn't your skills that impressed me. No, it certainly wasn't your skills."