1

Paris, France, Summer of 1946

It seemed like a lifetime ago we got the news of another war. A war the impacted my life in so many different ways, it did not seem possible. After moving to Paris, Benoît and I fought for the French Resistance and after a long fight, the war ended, and the allies became victors.

When it ended, I wondered how different I would find things. Wondering how different the world had become. The war had seemed a distraction to me, a mask that hid my true feelings and thoughts. The war was a cause of lots of my feelings, in ways I never thought it could create.

Him being the biggest impact of all the war handed to me.

"Amelia-" I heard my name being called as I walked down the busy streets of Paris. Turning around to see my friend Adele rushing to catch up to me.

I had met Adele when I first came to Paris. Adele was fighting the French Resistance before Benoît and I arrived, then we became the most amazing friends throughout the fight for freedom.

"What has gotten you in such a rush?" I smiled, walking alongside her, being careful to not smack into anyone as I passed them.

"Have you seen Maria lately?" Adele asked, making me think of the last encounter I had with Maria. Maria was another woman that was fighting alongside us, but many saw her as a traitor, as she married a German just after the war ended.

"No, I haven't." I answered. "The last time I saw her was last week, when I went over for tea." I recalled over our frequent chats over a sweet brew of warm tea, alongside some of our favourite sweet treats.

"But did you know that Hans has had to leave France?" She timidly said, not sure whether I knew or not. My face told her all. I had no idea that Hans was being made to leave France. My heart broke for Maria, as I knew she would be devastated. Who wouldn't be, if it meant the love of your life was being split from you? - maybe I did relate to her in some ways.

"Out of force from the de la République?" I questioned, thinking of the government's decision to send all Germans to labour camps or back to their country. "It seems very rash, the war ended well over a year ago."

"Well they don't see it as that." She began, knowing there was two sides to every story, even if she did feel for Maria. I always admired Adele for that. "They still see them as the enemy that destroyed their country. We just have forgiving hearts."

"But surely all German's are not the same." I blurted out.

He was different.

"But they don't see it like that." She breathed out, gripping my arm for us to both stand still. "I am worried on how she is going to survive. What is she going to do with herself?"

"What do else are we meant to do?" I shrugged. "All we need to be is a good friend to her and console her."

"That is not the only thing we could do-" She began but I cut her off with a scoff and a firm shake of the head.

"No way-" I firmly said, continuing to walk as she hurried up after me. "-there is nothing else we can do."

"We cannot just have him taken away from her, they are married. Surely there is some laws that he can stay." Adele argued, but I did not want to hear anymore. It was too dangerous, and we would be crossing many boundaries.

"Have you just stopped for a moment and considered the consequences of what could happen, if we were to do something about it?" I shook my head, knowing Adele was good at making brash decisions.

"Well-" She began but I cut her off before she could continue, I knew what she was going to say.

"No you haven't-" I sternly spoke, stopping in my tracks and looking towards my friend. "Look, I care about Maria just as much as you do, believe me. But also believe when I say, it is too dangerous, and it will cause too much trouble."

"What happened to the Amelia I met when she first came to Paris?" Adele frowned, folding her arms and I dipped my head slightly in shame; knowing she was somewhat right. "Well I know for a fact, that she would have moved mountains if it meant her friends were happy and stood up for what she believed in."

I felt like I was being bribed to help them, feeling shameful at my detestation to help. But I knew deep in my heart, that I needed to help them. I wanted to help them. But I also wanted a break from danger for a while and the thought of potentially shaking its hand again, frightened me to say the least.

"Fine." I blurted out, not giving my mind enough time to think before I spoke, but it was too late to turn back.

"See I knew you would help!" She jumped up and hugged me. "We need to get to Maria right away."

", we need to come up with a plan first." I shook my head, not wanting to give Maria false hope. "Maybe we need to go and speak to Louis?" I raised an eyebrow, looking at a blushing Adele.

Louis was a friend of ours, a friend that liked Adele a lot. During the war, Louis was in a police force who gave information to the resistance, he is a good friend who had lots of connections. I knew he would be the perfect person who would know how we could help, especially because I knew he would want to impress Maria.

"Oh do stop looking at me like that Amelia." She huffed, folding her arms and blushing a deeper red. Chuckling at her girlish behaviour, I stopped for a moment and sighed, feeling jealous of her emotions she shared when I mentioned Louis name. Knowing I had too felt the same and knowing the only feeling I carried around with me now, was heartache; quite the opposite.

"It is a good idea." I smiled, shaking off the loathing feeling while we both started to head to Louis office. "He loves Marie too, I'm sure he wants her to be as happy as we want her to be."

"If I flash him a cheeky look of a certain area, I'm sure he would be willing to help in a heart beat." Adele winked, making me burst out into fits of laughter. Smacking her arm, I shook my head in disgust while still laughing at the insane woman. "You know he would as well."

"I can't confirm nor deny." I snorted, linking her arm with mine. "Let's just get the information we need and get Maria and Hans back together safety, without having to flash anything!"