twenty

ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ : ᴛʜᴇ ᴇsᴄᴀᴘᴇ

Back at camp, Clara can't stand the silence. She hates thinking, mostly because it just leads to imagining the horrors Finn, Clarke, and Monty could potentially be going through while she's just sitting there.

It's morning, and Rez is on watch. With Jasper busy making gunpowder and Monty gone, Clara sits with Murphy. He's on his break from making foxholes to refuel and hydrate, and Clara decided that talking with him would be better than being alone with her haunting thoughts.

They're just talking about whatever, nothing too deep, when a gunshot pierces the air. Clara jumps and whips around, eyes wide as she scans the camp for grounders.

She and Murphy exchange a glance before rushing towards the gates.

"What the hell is the matter with you?!" Clara hears Bellamy's angry voice before she steps outside. When she comes up from behind Murphy, she spots Bellamy admonishing a young boy, Sterling, who looks like he hasn't slept a wink in days. His eyes are bloodshot, his under-eyes stamped with dark semi-circles.

Sterling watches Bellamy stand over him with fear. His eyes are wide and he scrambles to stand with the rifle in his hands. "I'm sorry, I-I fell asleep, I've been on watch all day."

"We've all been on watch all day," Bellamy bellows. "That bullet was one less dead grounder."

Octavia walks up from behind her brother, tapping him on the shoulder lightly, half-expecting him to whirl around and shout at her next. "Bell, you're scaring people."

"They should be scared!" Bellamy shouts, turning to address the entire camp. Everyone watches uneasily as their leader bursts out in anger, but what Clara sees isn't anger, it's fright. Behind his tough façade is a scared boy. "The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up! The grounders are out there right now, waiting for us to leave and picking us off one by one when we do!"

Clara stands beside Murphy. She gnaws on her bottom lip as she watches Bellamy explode.

"Clarke, Finn, and Monty are gone, probably dead, and if you want to be next, I can't stop you, but no guns are leaving this camp!" He yells, voice straining. "This camp is the only thing keeping us alive! Get back to work!"

The delinquents quickly obey his orders. They rush to get back to their duties, whether that be building up the wall some more, being on watch, or digging fox holes. Raven quietly continues to make more land mines.

Bellamy turns. His eyes catch Clara standing beside Murphy. Murphy gives Bellamy a sarcastic smile, whereas Clara just averts her eyes and walks back into camp. Bellamy sends Murphy a glare and shoulders past him.

Bellamy finds Clara in the drop ship tending to Myles's wound. She's changing his bandages when he approaches her. Clara ignores him when she feels him stand behind her.

"How is he doing?" He asks, though, admittedly, he doesn't really care at the moment. He just doesn't know what to say to Clara without repeating himself or making things between them worse.

Before Clara can answer, the tarp in front of the drop ship entrance is pushed aside. Jasper strides in, and when he sees Bellamy, he scoffs.

Bellamy sighs and stands back, addressing both Jasper and Clara. "Don't you think I want to go after them, too?"

Jasper stops in his tracks. He stares Bellamy in the eye. "If it was you out there, you think Monty, Clarke, or Finn would hide behind these walls?"