Xu Qiang - 1.6

Hissing in pain at their stupid decision, Kang Donghai and He Shun stood up and fanned their mouths, trying to get rid of the burning sensation on their lips. Xu Qiang glanced at them and heaved out a big sigh before she ran back to the store to buy more popsicles.

She rushed in, grabbed two more popsicles and went to pay for them when the cashier looked at her and his eyes turned sympathetic. 

"Single mother, huh?"

"What?"

"It must be really hard for you."

"I'm not-"

"Don't worry, it's going to be easier once they grow up."

Xu Qiang gritted her teeth and gave him a quick thank you before she sprinted back to where the boys were. Qiao Chonglin and Li Cheng had calmed down and were slowly eating their popsicles Kang Donghai and He Shun, on the other hand, were suffering.

He Shun tried to hide what he was feeling as he didn't want everyone to know that a few side dishes brought him to tears whereas Kang Donghai had a red nose and glistening eyes.

"Here, take these. They'll help." Xu Qiang handed the popsicles to the two boys.

"...Thanks." He Shun barely mumbled.

"Oh, thank you!" Kang Donghai hurriedly opened the popsicle and quickly ate it.

Xu Qiang felt her lips twitch when she looked at all the boys eating something and then saw her own empty hands. He Shun noticed this and he slowly stopped eating his cold treat. He saw Xu Qiang try not to smile and he felt embarrassed. In his heart, a seed of affection grew for this jiejie of his.

After everyone had calmed down and finished their popsicles, Xu Qiang got to talking and asking questions. She found out why they were involved with a gang and why they were targeted. They messed with He Shun's older brother, but, He Shun's brother didn't send people after the boys, it was people who wanted to impress him who did.

Xu Qiang saw how He Shun seemed so heartbroken by his older brother but tried to hide it. Xu Qiang's guess was that He Shun's older brother was a genius that was doted on who created legacies, and He Shun, unfortunately, had to live up to this legacy, it's no wonder He Shun is rebellious.

The same went for the other boys. Xu Qiang talked with them for a bit more before she bent down and picked up all the wrappings and the container that the boys ate from. All the boys quickly rushed forward to take it out of her hands but Xu Qiang insisted that she go and throw all the items away.

"I've always imagined what it would be like to have little brothers, I guess I know now." Xu Qiang smiled at the boys and walked to the bin.

Making sure that Xu Qiang was not in earshot, the boys started whispering to each other.

"She's nice."

"Why did she help us?"

"She's really pretty."

He Shun observed the others while they spoke and finally said, "...I like her, she's good to us."

"And she said we're like her little brothers! I've never had an older sister before." Li Cheng said excitedly.

The rest of the boys agreed and sat down on the pavement, leaning on each other whilst they slowly dozed off... on the side of the road.

...