37.

I took a deep breathe and pushed the door open to reveal a massive ballroom. There was a violin choir playing in one corner of the room and the whole room had a chandelier emitting a beautiful, bright light that seemed to be never-ending, I could almost feel everyone turning to look at me and despite how much I wanted to lower my head and hide in the corner, I didn't. I kept my head up high and focused on my breathing. I could see Andromeda giving me a nod of approval. But who I could not see, was Sirius. Or any of the guys, really. I quickly moved towards the drinks area and swiftly snatched the first drink I could see.

I turned around and took a sip, trying to see if I could find him. Unfortunately for me, the ballroom was packed with people. The rich and the famous, they were all here. Celebrities? You name it, they were all here. I was almost certain that I saw the minister of magic, sitting in a corner with a bunch of ladies. I moved my hair to one side and that's when I noticed a group of older women eyeing me with envious looks.

"Who is she?" A snarky woman said loudly, she was fashioned with expensive layers of clothing. Clothing I could never even dream to have.

A lady with an abnormally long nose turned to me and huffed, "Is that the daughter of that poet?" She said trying to get a better look at me.

Another one shook her head, "No, that's Darla Willingston - they do look quite similar though Darla doesn't have such a huge nose." She said, cackled boisterously.

I gulped but kept my nose stuck in the air, I had never had a bunch of older women look at me with such envy in their eyes. All the older women I knew were kind and had already had their fair share of life. But these people, they did not seem to like me one bit. Despite the fact that they were at least twenty years older than I was and they were dressed in fine, expensive clothes - they were cheap.

As the music played, I overlooked the crowd still trying to find Sirius. I tried to decipher him from the crowd but to no avail, there were too many people with dark hair and was of his height and build. I kept glancing at my watch, if I was too late then he would be stuck here.

"Would you like to dance?" A man said, I shook my head and said no.

"A dance, sweetheart?" Another said and I shook my head once more. Absolutely not.

The more I sat down, the more offers to dance came up. I decided to stand up and just walk around, find something to do. I reached the food table and glanced at the array of decadent desserts but before I even had the chance to grab a macaroon, a voice behind me spoke.

"You, my dear are absolutely stunning." A deep voice said making me turn around. It was an older man, a balding man who seemed of middle-age with a prominent beer belly and a expensive suit. The only thing I could get from him was the urging sense to get away from him.

I nodded but didn't smile or acknowledge the man, "Thank you." I said letting my eyes wander away from him and around the crowd of people.

He scoffed, "How rude of you to not look at me while you speak, young lady. Especially while I am trying to make you an exceptional offer." The man said making me take a gander at his face. He was not at all handsome, nor did he have kind features and I was fairly certain that the 'exceptional offer' was not something innocent.

I raised a sharp brow at him, "Excuse me sir, but if you think for the slightest moment that I owe you any of my time due to the fact that you are wealthy or of high status then you are clearly mistaken." I said, narrowing my eyes at him and then I flashed him a sardonic smile, "Good day,"