-Chapter Four-

"So these are the living quarters, where you'll both be staying." Anastasia pushes the elevator button 6. "Then, tonight is the introduction dinner. You will dress in a gown that I will choose."

Really? I imagine myself in a heavy beige gown and a cape made out of wheat.She would basically, she would make me look like a fool.

I tell this to Onix, and we both giggle at the thought of us in grain capes. Anastasia heard us and shakes her head, chuckling.

"Don't worry, I'm not that mean." The elevator dings, and then the steel doors open. A huge floor that only has one door opens as I slide my band that they gave me at the reception.

"Onix, your room is on the right, Aspen, yours in on the left."

I nod, and head left. Two big silver doors lay open, and I immediately ran straight to the shower, turning on the faucet as I undress. Stepping into the shower, I remind myself to not take too long soaking myself in the sweet water as Anastasia stern voice repeats in my head telling me that dinner is in thirty minutes. We're supposed to meet downstairs in a dress laid out on my bed to meet the others. I plan to stick next to Onix, considering she's the only person I know. I hope she plans to do the same.

I step into the dress, and one of the servants zips me up and pins a small diamond headpiece in.

The dress is simple enough, but my frown deepens when my maid, who introduces herself as Lise, informs me that this is only my dinner dress. The dress goes up to my ankles, an ink-black. with matching necklaces and bangles. Lise curled my hair and braids it in a twisted bun, and pierces my ears before twisting black earrings with diamonds encrusted around the main jewel. Finally finished, she leaves me alone to unpack my small sack full of possessions.

I hear a knock at the door, and Anastasia enters. "You look wonderful!" She walks up to me and kisses my cheek. "Ready to go?"

I give a slight nod. "All the selected will be there?"

"Yes."

I shake nervously and walk towards the door, where Onix is already standing. She smiles and then looks forward with a blank face.

The servant pushes the elevator button, and in a split second, the silver doors open. We all step inside, and the servant, again, pushes a button that supposedly brings us to the dining hall.

I take a second to observe Onix's outfit. A sleeveless midnight blue gown that tightens around her waist then hits her feet. Her black hair is in a low bun, and to finish it off, a necklace bedazzled with black diamonds hangs around her pale neck.

She looks much better than I do.

I flatten out my dress and grip the sides. As the elevator opens, we walk down a wallpapered hallway and enter a ballroom, and a gasp escapes my mouth.

Plates of food, not cheap food like we have in Serenade, heavy and delicious sprinkled with all kinds of spices. I can't wait to eat. But Anastasia pushes me back and makes me wait for the introduction. It is time to meet the selected.

First up is Anna Moore, a Nine, and Piper Strom, a Twelve. Must've been terrible for the family. Piper looks so built, maybe she put food on the table.

Then another couple pass by from the provinces Landsford, Katerina Dublins, and Rita Lands. Trape, Maia Lennons, and Cara Collins. Valor, Kayla Hamilton and Ariana Davis. And then Baez. A small 14-year-old girl, Alice Martins steps forward hand in hand with her sister Lilah Martins, who is 15. Lilah is unarguably stronger...

I see Anastasia shoot a look at them.

Then they come. The selected from Goffrid.

Halo Matthews, and Hanna Westbrooke.