-Chapter Sixteen-

My eyes slowly fold open, adjusting to the misty weather. I can feel wet rain dripping down, sounding like a peaceful afternoon back in Serenade. Billi, Katerina, and Onix are still asleep. I should probably wake them up.

I stand up, my sore muscles complaining. I shake them awake, throwing them their jackets that they had taken off the night before.

"Where are we going?" Billi complains, groaning while she stretches.

"Hunting."

"Food, or people?" She says, putting her jacket on.

"Both. After that, we're gonna come back here. I need to talk to you guys about something." I know exactly what I'm going to tell them. Since Halo and Hanna are dead, we are the strongest group. We need to split up. And soon. It's not like I don't trust them, but I wouldn't put it past Onix to fight. She needs to win. Win for her family, win for money. She needs money. 

"Why don't you just tell us now?" Onix questions. Katerina nods, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Onix is right. Just tell us. You don't know what could happen out there." Katerina says.

"It just doesn't make sense to do it now, okay?" I say roughly as I grab my knives, tucking them into my belt. I still have the cross necklace in my bag from last night. I've been debating whether or not to burn it. If I want to win, might as well show my devotion to my country. Or whatever.

"On a completely different note, how many are left?" I say, trying to play it off gentle.

"18, I think." Billi says. "Lets go."

We walk out of the clearing, taking complete awareness of our surroundings. The woods aren't burnt anymore, returning to it's bright green color. Onix makes the bright decision to go to the center, where it all started. We all agree, since most people are going to head back there for the good supplies.

Speaking about that, I should pick a few things up for myself, for my journey alone.

When we arrive, no one is inside. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Nevertheless, I head up the ladder to the tree house, which used to be Halo's stomping ground. I'm expecting some pretty good stuff. Though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she hid some of it. 

 I'm not disappointed. There are mountains of food, water, and weapons. Weapons that I've never seen before. I pick out a new knife, perfect for throwing. I stuff food and water into my bag, and I take some more knives into my bag, and even a spiked mace! Looks like Halo is dumber than I thought. 

I've suddenly become driven to win these games, and I don't know whats pushing me. I guess it's my love for Kato, because if it isn't, than I'm very lost. I won't have a reason to be a murderer, an excuse.

There will never be an excuse.

My thoughts are broken by a bloody scream. 

I don't have time to think, I only head down to the ladder. I can hear the sound of weapons clashing, I pull out my knife. But I'm too late.

Katerina lies on the ground, a spear buried in her throat. Blood still pours out of the wound. It trickles out of the corner of her mouth. The color of her hair, the bright red, seems to have faded. I don't know what to do except cry. And I do.  

Billi is on her knees, her fingers covered in blood. She's sobbing. I cover my mouth.

"Billi, I-"

"DON'T." She says aggressively.

I don't know what to say. Billi would never do that. She could never kill her best friend.

"Onix?" I whisper. She nods, and walks over to me. "Did you see it?"

"Yea. It was an accident. She didn't mean it. She had just gotten a spear, and turned around. It hit Kat in the throat." Onix quivers.

"Oh." I pause. "I don't know what to do."

The sound of Katerina's body being collected is behind me, forcing me to turn around. Billi is still sobbing, shaking harder than I've ever seen anyone shake.

"Billi, I think-"

"It's best-best if we split up. I'm sorry." She whispers gently. I don't want to let her go, I really don't. I've only known her for about a week and a half, and I don't want her getting hurt. Billi walks away, leaving her bag behind and only carrying a knife.

I start to walk to follow her, to change her mind. Onix stops me. "It's for the better, Aspen."

I nod, and we both walk to other direction. Things are going to be different now, but as Onix said, it's for the better.

__________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note-

Thank you so much for reading our story! Also we're sorry that this chapter is so short, there's more chapters to go and there's a lot of information to be written! 

- Ellie and Denver