-Chapter Eight-

I decide to eat my breakfast down by the training room, where I eat mine with no words. Nothing leaves my mouth. Not even a laugh or giggle from Billi or Katerina words. All because of my thoughts last night. I can't get it out of my head, not even if I try the hardest I have ever tried.

"Aspen you haven't said much. Did you try on your dress last night?" Billi leans forward, all up in my face.

I nod, but still, nothing leaves my mouth. "What's wrong, Aspen? Something upsetting you?"

No, I can't take any more questions, so I take my tray and leave, going to sit with Onix, who sits at the other end of the cafeteria. I set my tray down, and I have the nerve to look back at Katerina and Billi, who's glares could kill.

"Why are you sitting here Aspen? Did you fight?" Onix whispers, staring in the direction of Billi and Katerina.

"No. Of course not. They were just asking a little too much." I eat my pancakes and drink the tiniest of water. I can't help down anything else. Cassidy looks at me and smiles. "I like you, Aspen. You're cool."

I smile and laugh a little, but I still don't say much. This could be one of my last days alive. Even if I survive through the 7 days, if there's not a victor by the 7th night, they kill everyone, and Anastasia will take the crown.

"Selected please head to the Training area to meet with Head Trainer Marrcus." The PA system speaks blandly. I leave my tray on the table and head to the exit, where a woman holds out a letter for me. "For you, Aspen Woods."

"Thank you," I whisper, and sit back down, tearing the letter open.

Aspen,

I just heard this from the town news, but I hope you would break this to Onix. Her mother committed suicide yesterday because she couldn't bear the thought of Onix not coming home. Please tell her, I don't want her to suffer not knowing what's going on.

Besides that, Dandy came by today. She says that she going to be staying with us until the games are over. Since she's your best friend, I figured you wouldn't mind.

Also, Dad is betting 20 Lexas now, that you'll survive the first two days, and came back with a %50, which is again, bs. We are really counting on you, but no pressure!

Kato is really nervous. Out of nervousness, he is planning the wedding already. He's had a lot of breakdowns. I don't think he could live without you, Aspen.

Okay, Dandy wants me to go hunting now, so I'll write to you later. Bye!

From,

Liam

I don't know how to tell Onix, there's no way I can without her being furious at me. I've technically made an alliance with Katerina and Billi, and I know if Onix wants to be destructive, she will be. She could kill me in seconds.

The best thing is not to tell her.

I tuck the letter into my back pocket, nodding to the guard, who ushers me out of the door into the training area. Halo and Hanna are practicing defense, and by the sight of them, I shake. I look over where Lilah is, teaching her sister how to throw a spear. I walk closer to them.

While I get closer, I can hear them more.

"That's not how you hold it, Alice! Listen to me for once! Get your old princess ways out of your body!" Lilah screeches, and Alice shrinks back. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Alice mumbles.

I swallow the big lump in my throat and walk over to Onix, and I can feel Lilah's eyes glaring through the back of my head. "Onix!"

"Hm?" She turns, smiling at me. Then I shook the thought out of my head. I couldn't tell her, it would break her heart.

I pause "Nevermind." I say in a low voice as I walk away with my head down.

I turn back to see Onix with a fallen face as if waiting for something. No, I can't tell her. I head to the corner of the area where the entrance to the Trainers Lounge is. I hope that Marylin is there.

I knock three times before taking a deep breath. "Trainer Marylin?"
She opens the door, a broad smile on her face. "Aspen! Are you alright?"

I raise my eyebrows. Is something wrong with me? "What?"

"You look rather pale to me, and a little frightened!" Marylin giggles and I look down at the floor. "Well, tomorrow is the day, I have every right to be scared." I mutter.

"Of course, dear." she says as if talking to a baby. I smile, turn around, where I find Katerina and Billi looking at me. I slowly point to Marylin and mimic gagging. They both burst out laughing, and I chuckle a little.

"I'll be at the ax-throwing station." I say, and I walk off.

A few tries of throwing and I'm already bored. I have no talent with this! I don't even care if knives are hard to find I'm sticking with them! If Halo charges at me with an ax, I could kill her ten times faster with a knife, a weapon she barely knows about.

"You'll get the hang of it, you'll see!" Marylin places her hands off my shoulder and I sigh roughly.

"I don't think I'll get the hang of it in a day!" I turn around, dropping the ax on the floor. "Why can't I throw knives? It's the best I can do and I haven't practiced in a couple of days." I scream. Okay, Aspen, calm down. You don't need to go full out on such a shallow woman, she'll outdo herself for you.

"Aspen!" She hisses. "Calm down! Stop yelling please!"

"Sorry then!"

I leave the ax station, and head out of the training room. I can't take that woman anymore! I need to talk to Anastasia.

+++

"I hate that woman!" I pace around the room, Anastasia sitting on the bed. I want to throw things so bad. I should probably ditch the trainer, man why did I even accept the damn offer! I reach for a vase.

"Aspen!" Anastasia stands so quickly. "Please take your anger out in the arena, not here."

"Sorry."

"Also," she walks toward me, "I can't let you be in here now, you need to be back downstairs. I'll message Marylin saying that you don't need her anymore."

"Thank you." I nod, and I take the elevator back down. It's about time for lunch, so I head straight to the cafeteria. I turn my head, expecting Katerina and Billi to be sitting in the same space, but instead, I see Halo towering over Katerina.

I move closer.

"No." Katerina says.

"Oh, I'm not letting you go that easy, you know." Halo hisses. "Do you know what I'm offering you?"

"I said no. Got that?" Katerina growls. Halo raises an eyebrow like she always does. "I'm offering you a spot in my alliance. That's a huge offer. And you're telling me no?!"

Katerina rolls her eyes. "Do I have to say it again? Because I said no!"

"Stupid son of a bi-"

"She said no." I stand in between the both of them, and I hear Katerina whisper in my ear, "don't Aspen."

"Let me handle it." I whisper back. I stand with my feet planted in the ground, but my weight is forward, just in case she decides to attack.

"Ms. Woods, huh?" Halo says, circling around me. "Gets in everybody's business." She says slyly.

"I'm just protecting my friend." I sigh. "Katerina obviously doesn't want to be part of your petty alliance, she's already part of mine, and I don't want your ax-throwing self to ruin the party. Understood?"

Halo stamps her foot. "I wasn't asking for the remark, Woods. Now," she looks right to left, "watch your big mouth before it rewards you a very slow and painful death." She growls.

I swallow that, and Halo smirks. "See you at the interviews, Woods." And she walks away.

She's not joking. She will keep her promise.