Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CONNER PRICE

The town is eerily quiet. The guys and I had spent many summers up here at Jay's Uncle's cabin. We had even visited this very town. It held the only liquor store that would serve our awkward, eighteen year old asses in a hundred mile radius and even then it was only Blake. I think the dude was just that scary-as-fuck that no one dare refuse him.

I mentally thanked our underaged, delinquent selves as without them we would have no idea about the pharmacy that was right next door. I elbowed Blake in the ribs as we pulled up out front and pointed over to the Rhythm and Booze store.

"Shall we?"

Blake's face warmed at the nostalgic sign, one storefront over.

"Drugs first then beer." He grumbled. He was more surly than usual and I knew it was down to the girl waiting for us back at the cabin. I felt the same, but I hadn't been separated from her for days with the knowledge that I would probably never see her again. I could only imagine how he was feeling right now.

He killed the engine, the silence becoming deafening in the still town square. We hadn't seen any movement since we had crossed the town border and I was becoming a little uneasy as this was no small place. It had at least a population of around fifteen thousand and the lack of activity suggested to me that there had been a lot of military activity to clear the area.

Reaching down to the holster at my ankle, pulling out the hunting knife we used to use when we went fishing. I admired the wickedly sharp blade that curved into a six inch point with a serrated back near the tip. If this went in you, you could guarantee on doing some damage. My mind flashed back to when Jay had nearly lost a finger playing with it when we were kids. Jay's uncle had scolded him for not treating the blade with the respect it deserved. He explained how it had been passed down through generations and it was only the care and respect for the shiny blade that kept it as lethal as it was. Jay had been so proud when his uncle had passed it to him on his sixteenth birthday. So much so that he framed it at the cabin rather than use it, much to his uncle's chagrin.

Guilt swarmed me as I tested the weight of it in my palm. I hope he didn't mind that I had borrowed it but after leaving the gun with Red, the weapons were slim pickings and we needed all the protection we could get to make it back safely to save two out of three of the most important people in my life.

I did feel like a badass with it though. That I couldn't deny.

"Connor Price does not want to be like Chuck Norris..." I swiped the blade through the air as if it was a samurai sword "Chuck Norris wants to be like Connor Price."

Blake flashed his sharp teeth at me with a wicked grin before leaning into the back and pulling the most badass looking axe out from behind his seat. The head was one solid piece of shiny steel. Polished to perfection, it almost looked like liquid silver. One side housed the usual shaped flat blade while the other formed into a solid point. All this badass metal was fixed atop an intricately carved dark wooden handle. My awesome hunting knife now felt like a pen knife in comparison.

"It's not the size of the hammer, Blake. It's how hard you hit the nail." I threw him sassily, trying to act as though he hadn't just completely emasculated me in the space of a second.

"Sure it isn't, Chuck." He smirked at me before exiting the truck. Patronizing bastard! I jumped out after him, walking around the truck to his side. Ready to tear him a new one. Because I so would. I could easily take him. It was only the fact that he was crouching with a finger over his lips that I didn't. Otherwise he would've been in trouble. Honest.