Chapter Thirty One

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

CONNOR PRICE

We were getting nowhere with the Doctor. Jay had been trained in interrogation tactics and even he couldn't get him to tell us how to help Agnes. Not unless we agreed to let him go which was so not fucking happening.

Thinking back to the conversation before he turned me into a Stepford Chuck. He spoke about Agnes as an important asset. Hell, he'd tracked her and manipulated her her entire life. Surely he would want to protect her, his perfect specimen as he called her. Using this information, I walked back over to the tray he had prepared earlier. There were two different vials on the tray. Both green but with different codes and he refused to tell us which one he had given me so we could use it to bring Agnes back to us and hopefully stop the spread of decay as he had suggested when he was arguing with Todd.

He looked smug, assuming I was wavering on his offer and gearing up to releasing him. His smile dropped when I picked up the tray and headed over to where Red sat, still burning holes through the doc with her eyes. I picked up one of the vials and loaded it into the gun making his back stiffen but still, he didn't say a word. Once the gun was loaded I looked over my shoulder to him, giving him one last opportunity to speak and when he didn't, I held it against her neck and-

"Wait!" My shoulders sagged with relief as he let out a resigned breath "not that one, that will enhance the infected DNA and will make her worse." He hung his head, giving up the fight that he couldn't win. I was never going to inject her, but he didn't need to know that I just needed him to think I was as I prayed that the urge to protect his weapon was stronger than his need to escape. Luckily I was right.

Unclipping the vial from the gun, I placed it back on the tray and picked up the second one. Loading it up, I pressed against her neck and looked over at the doctor for any sign that he was deceiving me. Happy he was telling me the truth, I pulled the trigger and pumped the serum into her body.

"Do I need to put her in the refrigerator?" I asked, remembering that I had begun to burn up and that he'd ordered for Todd to shove me in the morgue fridge for my survival.

"No, that was from the pathogen, shutting your body down and stopping it working as it usually did so it could take over and adapt it in a way it needs to survive. This has already happened to her so it shouldn't affect her as it did you."

Relieved that I won't have to shut her away like that, I dropped to my knees and held her hand as it began to take hold. I watched as her shoulders relaxed and the fierce, wild look in her eyes glazed over into a blank stare.

"Cover his mouth!" I ordered Jay at the same time the doctor tried to bark out an order but luckily I'd figured out his next step and got there first. Jay's hand shot out and covered his mouth before he could finish the command. I had almost remembered too late that the serum would turn her into the perfect soldier under his control only. He could have ordered her to break him free when she had her chance, causing her to run at any opportunity. Or something along those lines.

Rising to my feet, I searched the room looking for something to gag him with and coming up empty as an idea sprung to mind. Walking over to Red, I bent at the waist so I was eye level with her. Reaching out, I clutch the onyx necklace resting on her collarbone and with one hard tug, yanked it free from her neck. Gripping it almost painfully in my palm, I headed over to the doc and removing Jay's hand. But before he could get a word out I replaced it with my own. The one holding the tracker he had planted on her and dropped it into his open mouth, sealing it in with my palm. Pinching his nose with my free hand I watched as his face turned pained when the necklace slipped into the back of his throat. Tearing at the inside and causing him to choke enough that he couldn't get a word out even if he wanted to.