Chapter Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY

CONNOR PRICE

MINE!

Was the word that ricocheted through my head like a shotgun. I watched as Agnes crumpled to the floor at my feet, spasming around the electric current being fed into her tiny body doing my best not to react and give myself away. The moment I'd stared into her eyes it was like someone had flipped a switch inside of me. Turning me back on and the only thing that registered to me at first was that this creature in front of me was mine. I watched with gritted teeth as that piece of shit that had shut me in the morgue refrigerator, grabbed her by the hair, dragging her across the floor kicking and screaming like a feral animal. The sight of which shocked me to my core and fueled my anger. I had only seen her this way once before and that was when she had bitten Jay, losing control as I'd tried to restrain her from doing anything that I knew she would regret.

"God damn it, Todd! What the hell did you do to her?!" The doctor questioned, walking over to help him strap Red into a wheelchair with restraints. Taking a special interest in the dark black veins running up the inside of her arm. I could see from here that they had spread substantially since the morning at the cabin -God knows how long ago that was as I had no idea how long I had been out of commission-. The hunt had been in vain, it hadn't helped her at all and on top of that it had gotten her taken, I was a failure. Guilt ate at my insides, all because I wanted to be able to get close to her. I was such a selfish bastard!

"I told you to break her spirit, not absolutely destroy her mind! Look at her arm! She's deteriorating!" He pointed wildly to the decay spreading up her forearm as anger bubbled just under the surface. The cool and calm Doc was mad and I could smell that asshole Todd's fear from here. It was obvious just from the few interactions I'd had with him that the Doc was unhinged and not a man to be messed with. I would not like to be in Todd's shoes right now because the look the Doc was giving him a promise of punishment for this. "You're lucky the serum will fix this!" he blurted out unguarded, unconsciously telling us that we could fix this if I could get the guys free.

"S-she wasn't like that when I left her. I'd made her believe that she'd killed the ginger one and the other's had ditched her on the steps like you told me to!" He protested.

"You fucking son of a bitch!" Blake shouted with pure vitriol, echoing my thoughts. They had used her insecurities and scars of being abandoned as a baby against her to break her. No matter what they create in this lab, they will never be bigger monsters than the ones stood in front of me right this second.

"She was in Lily's room when I found her! Val must've given her a history lesson before you could." The doctor cursed himself for not anticipating this "we knew she could pull something like this. She must've manipulated her into curing Lily then using her as a distraction to leave."

I discreetly looked over at Jay who was now cursing under his breath. Guilt and anger written clearly across his face. My heart ached for our girl. She'd just been told that she had killed me, then abandoned, only then to find out that the only other person she'd cared for in her life was her family that hated her guts and had manipulated her into helping her and then betraying her in the worst way. Make no wonder she chose to shut down. Right now she was running on instinct only, no thoughts or feelings running through her and who could blame her after the life she'd had.

With their backs turned as they argued over Val, I shuffled around the edge of the room, making my way slowly and quietly to the guys. My movement caught the attention of Jay before he quickly schooled his features and turned his attention back over to the Doc and Todd with a slight lift to the corner of his lips. At ease knowing that he will soon be able to retaliate in a matter of moments if I could just pull this off.