Arc 8

Arc 8

Ch. 1 Mothers' Misunderstanding

The rain stops after a time because I've calmed down enough to think straight and I go to where I know there is a warm fire.

The kitchen.

I did miss lunch.

Charlie is there with Beth, my tutor. When I didn't show up for class and she was told I was in... distress, she went to her brother.

Charlie made me some warm soup with extra meat chunks and Beth had baked some cookies.

These people were so nice. Charlie was hard to understand sometimes with his accent but pretty soon the two of them had me laughing again.

I decide to pay back their kindness with a story, and with all the maids and cooks still in the kitchen with little to do, I decide to speak loud enough for everyone to hear. They are visibly excited to get such an opportunity. I spin them the story of the emperor and the smiling man. But without the special effects this time.

I have them enraptured. It's the first time I've told a story to an audience like this in a while. Several more servants peek in and I beckoned them to join us. I even have to stand on a chair so that I can see everyone.

When I get to the part where the smiling man says he takes a nap everyone laughs.

They all ask for a second story.

I begin to tell them the story of the ugly man and the adventuress. This time there isn't a dry eye in the room. Which I might add, has gotten full to bursting. It's a longer story, but everyone listens intently.

When I get to the end where the adventuress names the ugly man 'treasured husband' instead of monster. Several people get emotional and when I finish by saying they had many beautiful redhaired green eyed children the room applauded. I don't know how long I've been at this, but it should be about time for me to get changed for dinner.

Nobody wants to see me go, but they part like the red sea when I leave.

Now I feel a lot better. I even think I forgive dad.

Once I'm dried and changed I move to the family dining hall. I will give this world one thing, they sure do hold family values high. Or at least every home I've been in has.

Everyone seemed relieved when I greeted them with a smile and sat down.

Mom was the first to speak.

"It is good to see you in such high spirits again. I saw that you were in quite a state after returning from the market this afternoon."

I sighed. "Father completely misunderstood my intentions with miss Wildheart this morning. I sincerely found the merit in her intelligence and skills before she was known as 'The Succubus'. As well as the wholesome desire for a CHASTE maid servant. He judged her by her appearance and imagined that I desired her only for carnal interests. He made unnecessary modifications to the slave contract without my consent. Thus, he incited my ire despite his valiance this morning when I called on him to act. I am ashamed to say that I made a scene undesirable of a prince in that public place until the merchant did his utmost to rectify fathers blunder. Alas, on closer investigation, the solutions were quite inadequate." This is how I speak like a good noble to express my anger without burning the place down with a lightning storm. Which I should look into perfecting when I get the chance.

When I looked at my mothers, all three of them went pale...

I wasn't angry at them...

I'm surprise they aren't making a bigger deal of father hitting me... twice.