Chapter 2: Let the Killing School Semester Begin Once Again!

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

We then heard a bell from behind us. The noise came from a monitor. On the monitor, it showed a very blurry and glitched image of a silhouette of what I assumed to be Monokuma.

"Puhuhu! Please make your way to the gym! The opening ceremony will begin once everyone has arrived!"

The monitor then shut off, leaving everything silent once again. The odd, eerie, high pitched voice still rang in my ears.

"Should we head there, Akamatsu?"

Kaede nodded and replied "We should. Everyone else probably is, and besides, I'm more worried about what happens if we don't go,"

She somehow still managed to keep a smile on her face during most of the nonsense happening around her. That was one thing I admired about her. She always kept her head high and acted positive to encourage and motivate others. Her smile was probably one of the only things that kept me motivated to look for the secret behind this academy, well, before she...got executed.

We headed to the gym as Monokuma instructed, and saw all of our classmates already there. Small conversations went here and there until these five, gigantic robots called Exisals surrounded us. Everyone was in shock, and I acted shocked along with them. A blond-pale green-haired boy with a calm, collected expression approached the Exisals, coolly asking what they wanted from all of us. He was Rantaro Amami, who at the time didn't know what his own talent was. I, along with a few others, later found out that he was the "Ultimate Survivor" of a previous killing game.

A blue and green colored Exisal both responded. "It's a killing game!"

"...W-What?"

I looked to my right to see Kaede in complete shock. Everyone else was also replying in a similar manner, with a few "huh"s and "what"s being said as well. We then heard the same odd and eerie high pitched voice that came on the monitor speak out. It was Monokuma, the supposed headmaster of this academy. Five other teddy bears who looked somewhat similar to Monokuma came out of the Exisals and started to banter with him. How much longer is this going to continue? I never remembered it taking this long. Monokuma and his...kubs?? continued on to explain how the killings and trials work. I didn't need to hear it, because I was going to make sure it wouldn't happen. I would make sure everyone would make it out of here alive, even if it costed my own life. I was completely lost in thought, but I managed to come back to reality just after Monokuma finished his very long explanation.

I "W-Wait!! No matter what you say, we won't do it! We won't participate in this killing game!" Kaede shouted out. Her fists were clenched, and her eyes were filled with anger.

"I welcome your rebuttals, Ms. Akamatsu! That defiant spirit of yours is very important to the killing game! I'm very excited to see you gradually fall into despair... and SNAP! I'm veerry curious as to what your killing methods would be~. Maybe drowning? Or hanging? No, maybe-"

"STOP. Please, just stop," I interrupted. I didn't want to hear anymore.

"Puhuhu~ It never gets old. Always one defending another, until they end up betraying you. It's just so fun and entertaining to watch!"

"How will us killing one another benefit you?! What do you want from us!?"
Kaede exclaimed at Monokuma and the five, smaller versions of themselves.

"Entertainment. And Despair. That's it."

That answer left everyone in complete silence. Monokuma and the Monokubs left shortly after.

Why, why did that answer sound so familiar?

Wait, why am I asking myself that? Of course it's familiar. He probably said the same thing the first time as well.

As I went back into reality, I saw everyone start heading out of the gym. Kaede was just standing there, looking at her monopad. It seemed like she was reading the school regulations. I decided to approach her. Maybe if I talk to her more, it might help prevent the possibility of her wanting to kill, of her getting executed again.

"Ka--Akamatsu, are you alright? You seem to have a lot on your mind." She jumped at my sudden question and responded in a thoughtful tone.

"No, I'm fine Saihara," She put on a smile, but it didn't seem genuine.

"Akamatsu, don't let Monokuma's words get to you. I trust you enough to know that you wouldn't purposefully harm someone, let alone kill someone just to get out."

"Why do you trust me so much, Saihara? You've only known me for, like, a day and you already trust me."

"..."

I didn't know what to say, so I just said the first thing that came to my mind.

"You seem like a very kind, honest, and trustworthy person. That doesn't mean I completely trust you just yet, though."

She giggled at that last remark I had made.

"We should probably start heading back to the dorms, it seems like Nighttime hours are coming soon," Kaede reminded me as we started heading out of the gym.

Once we arrived at the dorms, Kaede and I parted ways as I headed to my room.

I was about to head to bed when suddenly my doorbell rang.