Chapter 22: Our Class Trial

As an apology for posting the last update late, I decided to post this early! Plus, this chapter's double the length.

Also, small clarification that when words are italicized in the trial format, it means those words are thoughts and not being said out loud.

Kaede Akamatsu's P.O.V

Everyone else had boarded onto the elevator. I hesitated to enter, before eventually giving in and entering in as well. I had to fight, even if my life ended because of it. This was my, no, our last chance at exposing the mastermind and ending this killing game once and for all. I couldn't give up now. Not at a time like this.

As the elevator began its descent down, a few people made comments here and there. Their voices were hushed, with the exception of a few like Kokichi and Kaito. I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to drown out all of the anxiety I was feeling at that moment. I needed to distract myself somehow.

Eventually, the elevator came to a halt. The door slowly opened to reveal what awaited us on the other side.

"Welcome to the class trial!"

I turned my gaze over to five smaller podiums to see the monokubs. My gaze then trailed off to see the room as a whole. It looked like an authentic replica of a courtroom. I felt my hands clench up.

"Why are you making us do this!? Is this fun for you?" I stared down at the five smaller robots.

Soon after, the monochrome bear showed up.

"Of course! Putting children in life or death scenarios is the best kind of entertainment!"

"Wow, this is so sickening that it's almost refreshing. So, how do we get this game going?" Kokichi asked.

"There are podiums over there. Please stand behind the one with your name behind it," Monokuma directed.

Following his instructions, we headed to our respective podiums. As I headed towards mine, an image of his body flashed through my mind.

Shuichi...

All he wanted to be was for all of us to get out of here alive. He wanted to expose the mastermind and end this, so I will do just that. I...I wouldn't even mind if I had to put my own life on the line. That's all I can do for Shuichi now.

The mastermind who's controlling Monokuma and forcing us to play this killing game...I don't think I'll ever be fully prepared to find out who that person is. But, we have to find out, so we can lift our suspicions of one another. I can't show any fear here, I need to push through.

I will face this life-or-death class trial!

Class Trial Start!

Monokuma: Ahem, now then, let's begin with a basic explanation of the class trial! During the class trial, you'll present your arguments for who the culprit is and vote for "whodunit".

Monokuma: Vote correctly, and only the blackened will be punished. But if you vote for the wrong person... I'll punish everyone *besides* the blackened and that person will graduate from this academy! Also, refusing to vote will result in your death, so you better vote for someone!

Monokuma: Now with all of that out of the way, let's get this crazy-awesome trial underway!

Kaede Akamatsu: ...So, it's starting, huh?