Coming Home

It wasn't until two days after Flower's birth Poppy was ready to be discharged from the hospital. Cyan was kind enough to help her get home, and saw this as a chance to spend time with her grandchild.

“She's beautiful, Princess Poppy," she said sweetly as Flower played with her necklace. “She looks just like Branch did when he was a baby."

“Well, she sure doesn't look like him now," Poppy pointed out as she stood up from a wheelchair. “Why is Branch grey anyway? What happened to him?"

“I don't know," Cyan admitted. “It was the Trollstice after you were born, we lost Mother to a Bergen, all those beautiful colors just... drained out of him. You should've seen him, he was so full of joy and determination."

“I'm sorry, Mrs. Birchwood," Poppy said sadly. “If only there was a way to bring them back."

“I don't know for certain, because I've never before seen a Troll with his... condition," Cyan explained. “But perhaps if he's happy enough, his colors would return."

Poppy's eyes flickered with hope. “I'll make sure he is! He'll be so happy, he'll be singing to the Moon!"

“Who would wanna sing to the Moon?" a familiar voice asked. They turned to find Branch standing at the doorway with a skeptic look on his face.

“Don't worry, hun, it's a lady thing," Cyan said, giving Flower to Poppy. “I better get back to the daycare. I hope to see this little one again soon!"

“Of course, you can visit whenever you'd like," Poppy assured her. “Thanks for bringing me home, Mrs. Birchwood."

“Princess Poppy, please call me Cyan," she insisted.

“Only if you call me Poppy."

Before Cyan left, she whispered in Branch's ear, “Say something nice about her."

“What was that about?" Poppy wondered.

“Nothing important," Branch replied before attempting to compliment her. “Uhh... that's a nice dress you're wearing."

“Uh... thank you?" Poppy replied, feeling awkward. The dress wasn't even that pretty, it was fluffy and yellow with long sleeves and pink polka dots. “Do you want to come in?"

“Yeah, okay," Branch replied, stepping inside. They both heard a tiny growl and noticed Flower beginning to fuss. “I, uh, I think she's hungry."

“Oh! Uh, okay..." Poppy said, nervously looking away from Branch, who just turned around and covered his eyes as Poppy fed the baby. “So, what's been happening with you?"

“I just started working on a weapons storage room for my bunker," Branch answered. “You know, in case of a Bergen attack. Or a basically-any-creature-that-will-feast-on-an-unsuspecting-Troll attack."

Poppy rolled her eyes playfully. Typical Branch. Flower pulled away, her belly now full, and Poppy readjusted her dress.

“You can look now," Poppy said, and Branch returned his gaze to the princess as she lovingly patted their daughter on the back. He didn't know what it was, but something about her just made him wanna wrap his arms around her and never let go. “Ew, gross!"