26: Overwhelming🌊

mєdíα: "dumєвí" вч rєmα

Asa

━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━
"Everything about you is so overwhelming"

- Jon Bellion
━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

"You should thank me for your union, Asa," Kosi commented drowsily from were she was dozing, her head in Jemi's laps. She had gone to the village to see her cousins recently and came back with malaria.

It was mid November. We had just completed our continuous assessment tests and were in high spirits, so we gathered at Jemi's place to pig out a little.

Right now, we were all lying on Jemi's massive bed in his large air conditioned room, tired and bloated from eating chicken pie that Jemi's mother had whipped up and taking turns to drink out of the one liter bottle of coke since all of us were too lazy to walk down the stairs and climb up again to get cups.

In the background, Dumebi by Rema, bursted out of the stereo.

"My union?" I arched an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah. You and Kam are couple goals. Puts my pathetic relationship to shame."

She had broken up with Trev again...

"Kam is good for you, Asa," Jemi added. He was sitting on his bed, his back leaning against the headboard while he placed his hand on Kosi's forehead as if checking her temperature. "You glow nowadays. You smile more. And you're nicer to people."

I smiled to myself.

Kam wore our relationship like a brightly coloured vest. So bold, so proud, of what we had, as if he wanted everyone to know. As if he wanted the whole world to see.

He'd hold my hand whenever he could, wrap his hand around my waist or shoulder as we walked. He'd drive me to the subway and wait until I was aboard the train. He wanted me to sit on his laps in class during breaks or spare, he wanted to kiss me behind the classroom blocks or in the cleaners' closets. He accompanied me on quiz competitions and clapped the hardest when I'd, obviously, come first. And the way he kissed me.... God, when he kissed me, I didn't want to take another breath again. I was convinced I could survive solely on Kam. He kissed me like it was the last time he was going to kiss me so he decided to make it count, he kissed me like he wanted to taste my soul.

Overwhelming.

That's what he was.

He was so overwhelming, powerful and impossible to control, like the wind or the ocean. I was drowning in Kam and floating as if in a dreamy haze, surrounded by euphoric joy and sometimes, anxiety would nudge me. Roughly shake me awake and make me realize that I wasn't his first and I certainly won't be his last.