38: Scars💔

Asa

*

"Don't keep quiet about what causes you pain.

Even good people will use you as a doormat if you let them."

*

*

"That's going to leave a scar, Kosi." I shifted worriedly on the bed as I watched Kosi walk towards her vanity, pressing an ice pack to her cheek.

Lola was positively livid.

"I can't believe that bastard hit you!" She growled, jumping off of Kosi's queen sized bed and walking to the window, looking like she wanted to punch something. "Who the hell does he think he is?"

Kosi sat dejectedly at her vanity, shoulders slumped, examining her bruised cheek.

My heart ached for my best friend. She was so loud and confident, sure of herself. She wouldn't let anyone walk over her.

But when it came to Trev, she'd reduce herself. Lower her standards and let him walk over her again and again.

Part of me was angry with her. Disappointed, even. She deserved more. So much more than him.

How could she not see that?

I took a deep breath, the way I usually did when I was about to say things that were better left unsaid.

"This is all your fault."

My voice was low, quiet. The entire room went so silent that you could have heard a pin drop a universe away.

"What did you say?" Kosi's voice was a deathly whisper.

Lola was staring at me with wide eyes. Vehemently shaking her head, telling me to be quiet.

But I ignored her and continued. "If you had listen to Jemi and I in the first place, none of this would have happened to you."

I knew this wasn't a good time. Her shoulders were slumped and trembling and she looked like she was about to burst into tears any minute and die from a broken heart.

I knew it wasn't the time for I-Told-You-So's but I told her so! I told her to leave him. We all did. And now, she has a broken cheekbone to show for all her loyalty.

"Get out."

Her voice was low. Firm.

"Kosi, I-"

"Get out!" She screamed at me. "Get the fuck out of my room! Get the fuck out of my house and get the fuck out of my life!"

She stood up now, angry tears, streaming from her face, finally releasing all the pent up pain and sadness she had been holding in for so long.

I froze on her bed, shocked by her outburst.

She was heaving heavily, chest, rising up and down. Her fists were clenched, trembling violently at her sides. But it was her eyes that killed me. Filled with anger and accusation.

"C'mon, Kosi, don't be unreasonable here. We're friends."

"Some friend you are." She scoffed. "Beating me up when I'm already on the ground. Get your shit and leave, Asa. I can't deal with you heartless bullshit right now."