26. The Third Task

Y/N'S POV

The next morning, the four of us met downstairs in the Common Room. I still held a small grudge against Harry but Hermione insisted that we stayed together as a Quartet. Harry told us about what he saw and it was pretty much the same thing Dumbledore showed me. When I saw Hermione, I greeted her with a quick kiss and a hug.

Ron raised his eyebrows. "You two a thing now?"

I nodded with a smile, Harry chuckled, seeing an opportunity to speak. "Took you long enough." he then looked at Hermione. "He's been crazy for you since first year. I remember when we went to the mirror-"

I cut him off. "That's enough Potter. Let's head down to breakfast. After all, the third task is tonight."

With that, the four of us, the Golden Quartet, made our way to breakfast.

We were eating when we heard Malfoy's voice from the Slytherin table. "Hey, Potter! Potter! How's your head? You feeling all right? Sure you're not going to go berserk on us?"

Harry looked confused and Ron reluctantly handed him the Daily Prophet for today.

HARRY POTTER 'DISTURBED AND DANGEROUS'

The boy who defeated He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is unstable and possibly dangerous, writes Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent. Alarming evidence has recently come to light about Harry Potter's strange behavior, which casts doubts upon his ability to compete in a demanding competition like the Triwizard Tournament, or even to attend Hogwarts School. Potter, the Daily Prophet can exclusively reveal, regularly collapses at school, and is often heard to complain of pain in the scar on his forehead (a relic of the curse with which You-Know-Who attempted to kill him). On Monday last, midway through a Divination lesson, your Daily Prophet reporter witnessed Potter storming from the class, claiming that his scar was hurting too badly to continues studying. It is possible, say top experts at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, that Potter's brain was affected by the attack inflicted upon him by You-Know-Who, and that his insistence that the scar is still hurting is an expression of his deep-seated confusion."He might even be pretending," said one specialist, "this could be a plea for attention."

I didn't even want to pay attention to the rest of the article, the only time I paid attention was when I was briefly mentioned. Harry laughed the article off and we continued eating.

"Potter, L/N, the champions are congregating in the chamber after breakfast," she said.

"But the task's not till tonight!" said Harry, accidentally spilling scrambled eggs down his front, afraid he had mistaken the time.

"I'm aware of that, Potter," she said, "the champions' families are invited to watch the final task, you know. This is simply a chance for you to greet them." She moved away.

Harry gaped after her. "She doesn't expect the Dursleys to turn up, does she?" he asked us blankly.

After breakfast, we made our way to the hall and I was greeted by both my parents. I gave them both a hug, they asked me how I was feeling after the Ministry had found out. Of course they would know, they were Aurors after all. They obviously knew about my true parentage but they decided that when the time came they would tell me. However, I had obviously found out early but I held no hard feelings against them for not telling me. After all, they had been by my side since I was a child.

Since Harry's aunt and uncle wouldn't come, Mrs Weasley was by my parents, engaging in a conversation with them. When she saw both of us she gave us a hug. We had to explain to her that me and Harry were not angry at each other since she supposedly read what Rita Skeeter had said.

All of us returned to the Great Hall for lunch and when Mrs Weasley saw Hermione she stiffened up, noticing the tension I decided to say something.

"Mrs Weasley, you don't believe what Rita Skeeter wrote in Witch Weekly do you?"

Mrs Weasley shook her head. "Of course not."

"Good, anyways. Mum, dad, everyone. I thought now would be a nice time to tell you all that Hermione is my girlfriend." I said this whilst wrapping an arm around her.

Everyone was ecstatic. "You two will have such cute babies!" Issac said, appearing suddenly giving us a smirk, he gave our parents a hug.

That night, me and Harry were on the Quidditch Field, however, the field now had a massive maze on it.

Five minutes later, the stands had begun to fill, the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats. The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman and the champions. They were wearing large, red, luminous stars on their hats, all except Hagrid, who had his on the back of his moleskin vest.

"We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze," said Professor McGonagall to the champions, "if you get into difficulty, and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?"

The champions nodded.

Bagman then announced to everyone in the stands of the leaderboard before telling all the champions to stand by the entrance. I would be entering first, then Harry, then Krum and then Fleur. When my name was called, I was met with some boos and some cheers, I turned to all of them, bowed and had a grin on my face. When I was told, I burst off into the maze.

I pulled out my wand, muttered. "Lumos," and then I heard Harry enter the maze. After about fifty yards, we reached a fork. We looked at each other.

"See you," Harry said, and he took the left one, while I took the right.

I kept looking behind. The old feeling that I was being watched was upon me. The maze was growing darker with every passing minute as the sky overhead deepened to navy. I hadn't encountered anything yet which was worrying, however, I spoke too soon.

As he turned a corner, I saw Voldemort beckoning me over to him, it was my Boggart. Ignoring the fear consuming me, I shouted "Riddikulus!" and the Boggart disappeared and I carried on into the maze.

I seemed to be quite lucky because after that I had to face a riddle, and I had to destroy an object blocking my way. Whilst I was running, I heard a female scream. "Fleur..." I muttered to myself. My survival instinct was thinking about how it was one less champion. I didn't pay much attention and started running again.

When I turned a corner I was faced with a Blast Ended Skrewt and I used the spell 'Impedimenta' to get rid of it. Surely I had to be close to the trophy now.

I had been hurrying along the new path for a few minutes,when I heard something in the path running parallel to my own that made me stop dead.

"What are you doing?" yelled Harry's voice. "What the hell d'you think you're doing?"

And then I heard Krum's voice. "Crucio!"

The air was suddenly full of Harry's yells. Horrified, I began sprinting up his path, trying to find a way into Harry's.

Quickly, I managed to make my way to where Harry was and I cursed Krum out the way. Not feeling bad for him and all that jealousy since he asked Hermione to the Yule Ball caused me to curse him until he was unconscious. Ignoring Harry, I sent up red sparks and then pushed an unconscious Krum to the side.

Harry opened his mouth to say something but I interrupted. "Let's go."

We ran in silence before we saw something glimmering. The cup.

I sprinted to it and so did Harry. When we got there there was silence.

"Take it." said Harry. "You saved me from Krum. It's your chance to be the hero now. I don't to take this from you."

I wanted to but something didn't feel right. "Let's do it together."

Harry nodded and after three we both placed our hands on the cup. Everything went blurry and we felt ourselves move.

Crap, the Cup was a portkey.