Chapter 36

It didn't take Ariella long to convince the Minister into letting her teach. Soon enough, everything was arranged and she was already in the office of the Transfigurations professor.

"All you have to do is assist me in my lessons," Minerva told the young woman. "Or at least, that's what Umbridge thinks."

"You want me to do something else?" Ariella asked.

"I want you to continue teaching Potter, Granger, and Weasley. Possibly Longbottom and a few others as well. I will inform Professor Umbridge that they will be taking Remedial Transfigurations. Can you do that for me?" Minerva asked hopefully.

"It's no trouble." Ariella seemed conflicted. "But I can't help but think that this is a risky move. I cannot teach them personally. Perhaps by slipping a few notes into their textbooks or something similar of the sorts, I can help, but teaching them personally would be dangerous. Especially with a woman like Umbridge in the area."

"You're right." Minerva nodded. "But still, we must do what we can to help our school. We must fight back."

"In the most inconspicuous way possible." Ariella nodded her head, with a hint of a smile on her face. "Like you did to James, Sirius, and Peter, right? You slipped notes about Animagese in their notebooks and books when you found out that they were planning to become Animagi."

"How did you know that?" Minerva froze, eyes wide.

"I have my ways." Ariella laughed. "Anyway, you want me to do the same?"

"Yes, if possible." Minerva rubbed her temples, obviously feeling stressed. "Anyway, you start with me tomorrow. This year will be more stressful than the others, mind you, and not only because of Umbridge, but also because it's OWLs year."

"I know." Ariella sighed. Suddenly, a smirk graced her lips. "So . . . do I get to dock points?"

"Yes, you have as much authority as the teachers." Minerva nodded her head. "Don't abuse your position, Miss Swan."

"I won't," Ariella said, the mischievous smirk on her face not leaving.

"That smirk of yours says otherwise."

*****

"Look, isn't that Ariella on the teacher's table?" Ron pointed to the woman sitting beside Minerva McGonagall. As if hearing them, Ariella turned around and spotted the trio, and waved. The trio waved, albeit a little confused.

"What is she doing here?" Hermione asked, confused. "There aren't any open teaching positions."

"Oh, come on," Harry said, smirking. "Look on the bright side! With Ariella here, Umbridge . . ."

"I like your way of thinking, Harry," Ariella said, walking over to the trio. "I heard about what you lot did."

Suddenly, the three looked ashamed, as if expecting a scolding from the older woman. "Oh, don't worry, I'm not here to scold you. I'm here to say you did a marvelous job."

"Really?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"I would have done the same, to be honest." Ariella laughed.

Ernie McMillan slipped into the seat beside the trio's telling a story about Umbridge. "Did you hear? Umbridge tried to get up to Dumbledore's office, but the gargoyle wouldn't let her in. Apparently she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," Hermione said viciously. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old -"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?"

Ariella rolled her eyes as she turned to face Draco Malfoy.