Chapter 5 - the journey

Antoinette made her way back into the carriage, and her journey to the border port began. She looked at her reflection in the carriage window, pale in complexion. The characters in the game had Western identities, and she, herself, was quite pale. It was a blessing to be light in this world, but Antoinette herself didn't have a care for her look in this moment. After staring at herself she suddenly realised that this world's language, which they had been speaking up til now, was English. She spoke a few tongue twisters before speaking a sentence in Korean. It seems like she could still talk in Korean, but now she had English in her arsenal too.

After a passing 10 minutes, she decided to take out her phone and see what capabilities it had. It after a minute of checking, it seemed to be just like her old phone, except it had unlimited storage, had always full charge and she always had wifi and reception, it even had the social media apps and games that she had downloaded a while back- that's when she froze. She opened her photo gallery and tears streamed down her eyes. There before her eyes were all her beloved photos of her, her family and her friends at the university and dance company. Photos of different foods and jokes that she had with family and friends. Antoinette stared at the photo of Jieun and her family, eyeing their love-filled smiles and the joy they emitted. She opened her social media platforms and logged in. She found herself unable to actually interact with anyone from the other world, and turned to merely stalking her family's pages, going back as far as she could. She cried. She cried for the family that had begun mourning her recent death. She found though she had been in this world as Antoinette Rosenburg, time in the other world flowed differently, both coexisting as Jieun and Antoinette. At the moment of her death in the other world, she awoke as Antoinette. She read the floods of messages that were blocking her direct messages and the comments that took over her posts. After 20 minutes, she found herself unable to look at her phone screen any longer. Antoinette turned to watch the views, silence taking over. She cringed at the sights of the slums and their inhabitants as her thoughts formed-

'Was the country always so pitiful in my eyes before?'

Soon after, Antoinette fell asleep, awaking only at the carriage's stop.

—————

She exited the carriage, no-one to help her off, and grabbed her bags and luggage. Making her way into the ship, she didn't bother to say her goodbyes to the carriage driver who had been looking down on her from the start. As the ship set sail, she looked ahead. For the whole of the hour's journey at sea, she simply stared ahead at the water. She fell into a trance, watching the ocean of water in its beauty. The ocean breathed out calmly, it's waves gentle as the ship pushed through. It glistened into the sunlight, the waves of royal blue becoming a calling to her heart. It looked so free and beautiful- and once she had crossed it, she too would be free.

As they pulled into port, she bid her fair wells to the captain, shaking his hand and showing her gratitude. He smiled at her and gave her words,

"Don't worry about it lass. I hope your life goes well here."

Antoinette looked at his twinkling eyes, and felt the soft smile that formed across her face.

'He smiled a genuine smile at me, that's a first isn't it.'

Exiting the ship, she took a deep breath in- this was it. This was were she would flourish like the May's flowers. She went straight to hail a carriage, where she asked them to take her to Kou's central city. The journey would take her 3 hours, no stops. The whole time, she simply stared out the windows of the carriage. The people here looked truly happy, smiles plastered across their faces. She heard the yells of joy from the children as they ran about the streets and the affectionate calls of their mothers. As they turned to rural territory, she watched the fields, their freely-choreographed flowers flowing in the wild. The petals flew high, giving her a colourful illusion, a sight for sore eyes. The sun shone brightly, smiling upon Antoinette, as if welcoming her to the Kingdom of Kou, as the carriage pulled through. She soon came into urban territory- finally reaching the heart of Kou, where her school would be.

———————————————————————

haha sorry i'm not really the best with descriptions but i tried my best ;) and sorry this chapter's a bit short!! also this song is by a person who covers a LOT of songs and I love her voice please give her a lot of love~