t h i r t y e i g h t

"Lilith, are you ready?" Jon called me from downstairs.

My legs trembled as I looked in my mirror one last time.

The dark brown dress I wore made me look like a child, the glitter on the bottom of it and the ribbon in my hair made it only worse.

My eyes were puffy, I cried so much in the morning, my face looked swollen.

Not even the amount of concealer I put on helped me look lively.

The hate I felt inside me since yesterday made me so upset, I couldn't even look anyone in the eyes.

Victor came downstairs yesterday, in his arms clothes for Caleb, the twins and me.

He said we couldn't dress properly so he bought us these, I wanted to disagree with him, but Victor was on his limit.

Since days he would shout around the house, tell everybody what to do and how to do it.

Sometimes he even screamed at himself.

As I stepped outside of my room, the hallway was full of light.

There were family pictures hanging on the wall, and the doors of our rooms seemed like they were recently bought.

Elijah and I cleaned them very well.

Walking down the stairs made my heart race and my breathing felt cold.

The twins and Caleb waited already in the living room, in their neat clothes, awaiting our father.

"You look cute, Lil." Elijah gritted his teeth, as he tried to give me a sincere smile.

"You too." His hair was comped weirdly to the side, the orange shirt Victor gave him made him look like he was some kind of shady guy from the neighbor.

We all looked ridiculous.

"They should arrive soon." Jon walked in behind me, his hand brushed my shoulder, as he gave me a funny smile and sat down on the couch.

"Lilith, sit down." Caleb suggested. I nodded and seated myself besides him.

Biting my lip I stared at the floor.

We heard a car engine coming nearby, until it stopped and the slam of the car door became the most fearful sound I have ever heard.

It reminded me of the times I stayed quiet in the bathroom, hearing Mom and Simon come home late at night from their usual night outs.

These nights were the worst, there was no way they would have came back sober or clean.

The moment this man will come into this house my life will change and there is no coming back.

The door opened and I heard this voice I tried so much to forget.

Even though the first time I heard it, it graved into my head like a lost memory.

Like a sound I craved to hear for years and even in my head some of his words haunted me the past days.

"Finally home." He sighed in relief. "It's good to be back, son."

"It's good to have you back." Victor's voice was cheerful, it made him child like. It seemed like someone lifted a burden of off Victor's shoulders.

"Where are my boys?" He exclaimed in a weird way, he rushed into the living room.

Promptly Jon stood up, getting put into a big hug with his father.

"How much I missed to hug my boys!" He laughed, his hand brushing over Jon's back, the same way Jon did it when he hugged me.