[31] Bunny

They came back into the mid-day of Aclair. The high sun rose from the back of the mountain, doing nothing for the city. The coarse, black, roof of the city glowed with the luminescent, orange lights of the Orient Crystals that pervaded the streets.

'The sun hides behind the mountain but the city has its own stars.'

Claire tossed a small rod-like object of ice into the air, caught it, and repeated that action as she walked. They had left the inn, well, mostly they had been kicked out as no payment had come through, but she found that their stay there was no longer needed. The streets were crowded and busy. Passing by the residential area of the city, houses and inns at either side of her as she walked the widening and narrowing streets, turning and walking, she went through her thoughts.

"Even the smallest, cheapest, plot of land costs a hundred gold coins?" She muttered.

At the behest of Clara, they were pointed to the City's Development Agency only to find that although 7 gold coins were considered quite well off for 2 people, it was nothing in the face of buying a plot of land. The cheapest option, renting one big enough to plop a house down on was 10 silver coins a month for 15 years before you would own it. However, Claire would rather like to buy something like that outright, and that would take at least a hundred gold coins.

"Why don't we just place it in the Forest?" Alicia voiced her thought, an eye squinting at the roof with her hands holding her head as she followed the Ice Queen, "I don't mind living there."

The girl didn't quite get it. It seemed no problem to her. At worse, they could just carry the pillar with them and be a mobile home.

"But I do," Claire stopped, looked back, and shook her head, "I want to live with civilization, I want to place it down in a city—which is more so due to my own preference—and we still need the Adventure Guild to make money. Not only is a city better for relaxation with the plethora of choices available, but we will also be able to shop for food in this place, else I would just be eating ice and water while you suck my blood dry."

The vampire licked her lips, and spoke with a gleam in her eye, "I don't mind sucking you dry."

"But I do. And that sounds. . .suspicious," Claire said, and thought, 'She certainly seems cheerier than normal.'

The small tower disappeared in her hand and she pushed open a door, entering the bustling Adventure Guild. Naturally, eyes came to them, which retreated as fast as they did. The familiar interior was still as rampantly uncaring of those around. Rowdiness mixed with exhaustion and a few parties were chugging booze. The two figures waited in line at the side of the quest board until they reached Clara.

"That was fast, back already?" The receptionist smiled.

Claire wanted to roll her eyes. Certainly, the woman must have known there would be no way for them to buy land with the funds they had. Certainly, that sly smile of hers was teasing them.

"Yes. . ." She muttered, "We're looking for requests with the most monetary gain. Could you help us?"

"Well well well. . ." Clara begun with twinkling eyes.

'There it is, that's the face of a scheming woman.'

"The Guild will be having an expedition into Aclair's Dungeon soon. With your strength, joining will be no issue, and you can keep anything you find, hunt, or kill for. How does that sound?"

"An expedition?"

"One of our bi-annual match to prevent a dungeon break scenario from occurring—as no city wants what occurred to Tam. It's funded by Aclair, in conjunction with its minute military, and lasts for about a week, reaching up to the current highest floor. Joining alone is a reward of a gold coin."