1. Annabeth (edited)

ART NOT MINE
BOBBY AND MATHEW ARE AGED UP TO BE         2 YRS YOUNGER

"Hey dad," I said while shutting the door behind me. I had just come home from the last day of Junior year and my dad was working from home.

"Hey honey!" He shouted from his study. He wasn't going to come out and greet me and he probably didn't want me to disturb him so I went straight into the kitchen.

I dropped my bag at the archway leading into the room. My step mom, Helen, was stood over the stove, fiddling with the controls. She let out a deep sigh and muttered something under her breath.

"Hey Helen," I muttered

"Annabeth, go and grab me the lighter, the gas didn't working," she said without lifting her head from the stove.

"Yes Helen," I replied. I walked over to the windowsill and picked up the lighter, handed it to her and headed back towards the archway to go up stairs.

"Not so fast, sweetheart." She said, almost mockingly. I turned on my heel and walked back towards the middle of the kitchen. "Yes Helen?" I questioned wearily.

"The royal family are holding a selection for the prince. He has asked all woman and girls from 16-21 to attend. You don't think I look 22, do you? I would happily marry the prince over your father" She turned towards me and made a pouting face, I scoffed.

"More like 52," almost instantly I knew I shouldn't have said that.

"What did you say to me skank?" Her face had grown red, even under the layers of makeup, she was advancing towards me slowly. I started to back up but only hit the kitchen island.

She was stood right in front of my body and was towering above my head in her like 10 inch heels. Her cold hand connected with my cheek and my eye started to water. "YOU BITCH," she screamed "GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

I ran into the hallway and saw the study door closed, which means he wouldn't of heard a thing. I bolted up the stairs and slammed the door to my room behind me.

My room is pretty plain. It's not like I have certain aesthetic. It's almost the exact same as when it was my nursery as a baby.

The faded yellow walls are stained with paint, pens and other unidentifiable things I wiped on there as a child, the shelf that used to house books such as 'The Hungry Caterpillar' and 'Goldilocks and The Three Bears' now holds books like 'Architecture Through The Ages'. My bed, another thing I've had since I was younger, is off the ground and held up by 4 stilts like a table. The white paint on the wood is peeling off and the barrier that previously kept me from falling has fallen itself. Like i said, nothing special.

The lights were off, the only source of light coming from my dim fairy lights - strung on top of an empty calendar and various pictures tacked up to the wall - and the screen of my laptop. I was doing research on the Greek myth Hercules, or Heracles in his proper term, before I went to school.

I looked at the screen to check if I'd left any tabs up so I could shut the lid and a notification popped up on the corner of the screen.

Annabeth_Chase93! We've got some memories for you! Click here to see photos from 2005 - last year!

It was from 'Photo Emporium'. I had almost forgotten that site existed! You would create an account with as many people on it as you want and then share photos with each other on it. I hadn't been on there since August last year when I had an account with my Half-brothers Bobby and Mathew.

I clicked the link to see them and it started to play a slideshow of all these photos I had taken.

It played backwards, like it was taking me back in time. It started off with the picture of our last day on vacation to Dana Point in California. I didn't generally get on with my half siblings, but that holiday we had all been like a real family. It had just been me and the boys - we had gotten permission from their mom to take the bus by ourselves and go see sights as it wasn't expensive enough to make a dent in any money she wanted.

After that came the great Emo faze of Annabeth Chase. God I looked awful then. I was 15 yet still had no fashion sense. Why did I think those extensions looked cool? I always wanted to die my hair black, but I wasn't allowed, so I settled for black and navy blue hair extensions on top of my blond hair.

In the wake of that depressing couple of months was 14 year old me and a boy, he had black hair and strikingly green eyes that shone even through a computer screen. He was in all the photos, and there was a lot of them.

There was one with both of us sat in a strawberry field with wicker baskets. We were making funny faces at the camera as we laughed. Another one, we were stood in front of a pastel blue and white barn-house looking building. He had his lips against my cheek and even from as far away as the picture was taken I could tell I was blushing. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks even now.

The last photo showcased us both in matching orange t-shirts like uniforms and jeans sitting on a beach with our legs stretched out in front of us. We were both looking at each other and he was in the middle of saying something that was making me laugh.

His name was on the tip of my tongue, like the froth on an ocean wave. Peter Johnson?    Perry Johansen? There was memories plucking at my mind, we had nicknames for each other. I called him something like algae head because he loved the sea. Seaweed brain, I think.

I remember both of us in a lake in the middle of summer, he pulled me down underneath the surface and when we got back to the top I screamed at him.

"God dammit! What was his name?" I shouted, louder than I meant to. Of course I didn't mean to shout it at all. "Are you alright honey?" My dad shouted up the stairs from his study, he must have opened his door now "Yes dad! I'm fine," I bellowed back at him through my closed door.

Then, another notification popped up in the corner.

SIGN UP FOR THE SELECTION!

It was from the royal families Notification centre that they had built after they realised that barely anyone checked the mail anymore. I clicked the link and it brought me out of the paused slideshow and onto a google chrome page.

SIGN UP FOR THE SELECTION
The royal family is hosting a selection for woman and girls aged 16-21 for Prince Perseus Jackson's hand in marriage.
Click the link below to see if you could be the next queen of Perímpeth!

Along with an extensive list of details on what we would be doing. I would be staying in the castle for the whole summer, no Helen, no chores, no faulty kitchen, no broken bathtub. I would live like a queen. Literally.

Even though I won't be the new queen of Perímpeth, a royal getaway seems quite therapeutic.

Hi. I know I should be writing one shots rn but I just read the selection by Keira Cass and I love it so I decided to combine it with my favourite thing! Also, the country they live in is called Perímpeth which means Percabeth in Greek lol. Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

2/4/20

EDIT: (19 November 2020) I hate writing in first person now: it makes me feel really odd idk why. Apparently April Me loved it. Hope you enjoyed!
- a very cringing Nyla