Texts

Your number was unfamiliar to me the first time it popped on my phone. It wasn't a hello, or a good morning that I saw. Instead, you asked about the music that brings me to sleep. That was the first night I slept before the break of dawn.

The next time your texts came through my phone, your name would be sprawled across my screen, an endearment you never knew I had. For weeks we talked about the galaxies, and the oceans, and the books that changed our lives. We shared our playlists and talked about the ones that saved us. And I let you completely know even my worst sides. But in time, we started to drift apart.

I wrote poems, and stories, and music from texts I failed to send to you. I wrote my what-ifs and apologies, and every other song I would want you to hear. And I held every word with me, afraid you'd know how I felt about you.

Sometimes I would reread and relive every word and every paragraph we have sent. Because this was the last time I ever spilled my soul to anyone else. I'm sorry. I miss you. I love you. But most of all, thank you. I reread, retype, and delete these words over and over and never hit send. I don't know your number, I only remember your name. And I already changed my number twice since the last time we met.