Miles Away

Y/N's POV
I had been training with the 36th Division in the Eastern Earth Kingdom for about a week, after spending half a week travelling there and was really enjoying myself, I was easily the best 'non-bender' there, the other privates envied my skills and people would whisper about me,

"That's General Zorian and Azira's daughter!"

"She scares me more than Princess Azula!"

"I heard that she fought the avatar, and she can't even bend!"

Sometimes I'd glare at them and they'd run away, but most times I'd let them talk, I'm glad that they fear me, it's the only way I can trust that they won't double cross me on the battle field.

The only people I've ever been able to let down my guard with were Prince Zuko and Fire Lady Ursa... and General Iroh was starting to break down my walls, but only slightly. It scared me though, knowing that Zuko, who had proven to me that I didn't know him as well as I thought I did, knew parts of me that I wasn't ready to share with the rest of the world, parts of me that made me feel weak.

Prince Zuko had seen me cry, he'd seen me distraught, he'd seen me run head first into dangerous situations without thinking, something I wouldn't do for anyone else on this planet, but my mind doesn't quite calculate things the way it usually does when something concerns Zuko, all I know is that he needs me and I'd sooner die than let something happen to him.

In my free time, I continued training, I had mastered the art of many weapon types, my favourites being the spear, archery, the katana and dual swords, although I had yet to master dual swords.

I stood far from a target and pulled an arrow past my face, holding my gaze on the bullseye. As I exhaled I released the arrow? Surely enough, I hit a bullseye. Perfect.

Clap, clap, clap.

I turned to see where the clapping was coming from and leaning against a tree behind me was a beautiful woman with dark hair pulled into a bun, pale skin and a smile across crimson lips.

I grinned wide before running over to greet her,

"Hello, mother."

I bowed to her before pulling her in for a hug.

As she pulled away she eyed my uniform,

"Look at you! Your father would be overjoyed to see you now!"

"Why are you here, mother? I thought you were training troops back in Azulon!"

She gestured for me to walk with her,

"Well, after I received word that you had prematurely joined the army I decided it was time for me to check on your training progress, no daughter of mine is fighting on the front lines if your technique isn't impeccable."

Although it might've sounded like she was being harsh with her expectations of me, she was only here because she cared for me deeply.

"So you aren't staying?"

She shook her head before pulling the general from his tent, I was going to spar with him.

My mother, as the wife of General Zorian and therefore a close friend of the Fire Lord, can tell other generals in our armies what to do, no one ever questioned her, the same way no one ever questioned my father, they were both feared and honoured across our nation and were treated with the upmost respect.