36. The Great Escape - Erdudvyl

Rata-tat-tat

The familiar sound of someone knocking on the door had become typical to Erdudvyl as she lay on her bed in her plush prison. At various intervals throughout the day, members of the castle would come to visit her to ensure she remained where she was supposed to be.

Returning through the front door of the keep after her excursion to locate Chrys, had proven itself to be rather alarming and embarrassing for her security detail. With guards stationed outside of her tower now, at all times, all she could do was wait for an opportunity to present itself.

Rata-tat-tat

Erdudvyl straightened her dress, making sure she remained presentable to whoever was to enter. "Come," she called, with a little less enthusiasm than previous encounters.

The door swung open.

A bland young woman walked in flanked by one of the city guards. In her right arm, she held a plate with an apple, cheese and bread, in her left a jug of water.

Erdudvyl sighed, if they didn't kill her, the bland food would, she hadn't realised how much she missed pomegranates until this moment.

"Just put it on the desk, " she abruptly instructed.

The young woman smiled, watching Erdudvyl as she carefully placed the food and drink on the table. "I hope you enjoy the food milady; there are some interesting tastes within them."

Erdudvyl sighed; she didn't feel the desire to talk to some kitchen wench; she just wanted to be left in peace. When would humans learn the need for solitude?

It didn't deter the young lady though, "Oh, I forgot, a flower from the kitchen." she carefully removed a flower from her pocket. It bloomed a bright yellow, enhancing the girl's once bland smile, its domed shape seemed to puff itself up as she laid it carefully upon the table, and for the first time since the young woman arrived, Erdudvyl was now paying attention.

For all her time studying flowers, she knew what this was; it was a chrysanthemum.

Erdudvyl sat up studying the flower. She smiled at it before smiling at the woman. "Do send my thanks to them."

The young woman turned and headed towards the exit, just as she was to leave she turned and said: "I strongly suggest breaking into the cheese, it's some of the best I've tasted."

As the door creaked and slammed close, Erdudvyl jumped to her feet and glided over to the food, instantly tearing into the cheese. As a small piece of paper fell out and partially unravelled itself, Erdudvyl was glad she hadn't chewed straight into it.

Carefully placing it between her fingers, she laid it out for her to read.

Leave the tower, like before, at the tenth bell.

The message was clear, the instructions not so much. What would happen when she left the tower, how would she escape the city?

As questions flooded her mind, only one thought truly stood out, Erdudvyl had to trust Chrys, a spymaster's daughter, completely. After all her complaints and comments about the human race, it was one that seemed the most insignificant who could potentially be her saviour.

Erdudvyl rolled up the message and placed it within her bodice, before taking a piece of the cheese and nibbling on it; despite her lack of appetite, she was determined not to leave any suspicious activity.

As she turned towards the balcony, placing a small piece of cheese between her lips, a cloud of apprehension fogged her mind. This whole situation was so risky and dangerous, any elf would instantly dismiss it as foolhardy, yet with that apprehension, Erdudvyl felt something else far more euphoric. The craziness excited her; the not knowing was making her feel beyond alive for the first time in her life.