39. The Blade - Ethelston

The soggy leaves had embedded themselves seamlessly into the muddy ground bringing an array of golds and reds from an initially bland surface. As Ethelston carefully placed one foot in front of the other, he knew the sound he was making would be difficult to hear from a distance.

Twisting around a corner, he prepared himself for the gleaming sharp blade to be pressed against his throat. As the cold steel laid onto his skin, he felt a shiver down his body. It had been a while since he had that tingling sensation.

The blade lowered quickly once the Duke of Ravenscourt had been identified. Aryya stood tall, surrounded by ten of her men, hidden behind some buildings not far from the Dancing Partridge Inn. The same inn where Ethelston had met Bianca and a couple of Black Knife Syndicate thugs.

Since his encounter, he had examined the place closely. It was renowned for its select clientele. Syndicate thugs and known associates. Jarendrud's investigation into the Syndicate had raised a not so surprising pattern. No attacks were reported near the Inn, and no Syndicate members had families around this location. The evidence suggested a hole in activity in and around the inn, which indicated that everything was coordinated from here.

Arminell had taken command of the city guard, dispersing riots throughout the city, it was now up to Ethelston to take control of whoever was in charge of the Syndicate and destroy any chance of an organised counter-attack.

As he approached, Aryya's smile broadened, her dark eyes gleamed, yet Ethelston was unsure if it was because of his arrival, or soon, her blood lust would be sated. "Just in time, two swords."

Ethelston chuckled at the pet name she had given him over the years. Aryya knew his name was Ethelston, and they had been through hell together several times, yet the same name she gave him in the Sea of Sorrows where they encountered the Manticore, was the same name she called him now.

"Report?" Ethelston asked as her head turned back around to the target ahead.

"Sentries, at least six. Very well hidden and can likely call upon soldiers from the tavern as soon as they spot us. Getting there quietly will be almost impossible." responded Aryya with a tinge of excitement in her voice.

"Almost?" replied Ethelston.

Aryya turned and smiled before giving the nod to a couple of her henchmen, instantly they turned around and slank away, quieter than Ethelston entered. "My men will take care of it, but we must be prepared to fight anyway."

Ethelston straightened his leather armour, before rubbing his beard enthusiastically. He watched as Aryya's men masterfully scaled up a couple of buildings like ants, before reaching for a dagger and jumping into the balcony. As their blades glistened briefly before being thrust down, it wasn't until they reappeared with a darkened substance on the edge that Ethelston knew they had reached their target.

Aryya remained still, watching cautiously for any sign of unexpected movement. As the two knife bearing mercenaries climbed from beyond the balcony, all eyes were on them as they moved silently and quickly towards their next targets.

"It worries me how good your men are!" Ethelston commented.

Without looking at the Duke, Aryya grinned widely. "These men are my reputation, and they know that failure is extremely costly. I take pride in us being the best mercenary outfit known to man, a pride that no one will dare put in jeopardy."

After a couple more minutes, a small metallic object reflected the sun's rays towards them. As the light hit Aryya in the face, she raised her hand and moved from behind their hiding place. Placing her recurve bow firmly within her hand, she prepared three arrows in the other and shuffled cautiously forward towards the tavern.