1

The sound of the wind aggressively whistling invaded the living room although the windows were closed, and along with its noise came a sudden chill in the house. I adjusted the room temperature, making the living room warmer.

"Mommy, snow!" Aurora gasped, excitement clear in her voice as she bounced up and down. I chuckled to myself while dimming the lights and turning the TV on.

I then dipped my hand into the popcorn bowl and threw some popcorn in my mouth before asking, "What did you say you wanted us to watch again?"

"There's a man outside," she answered, causing me to frown.

"I don't know that one, hun," I admitted as I went to the search bar. Aurora gasped and ran over to me with eager on her face. In a bit of confusion, I chuckled, "What Rory?"

Aurora smiled, "Daddy's here!"

My smile immediately fell as I asked, "What did you just say?!"

"He's here, mommy! He's really here. He looks just like the pictures," she said. Timely, the doorbell rang, and my eyes widened in both fear and surprise.

I placed her on the couch and warned, "Don't move, you hear me?"

She looked at me with worry in her eyes as she nodded. I then went to the safe and unlocked it, giving me access to the gun I wanted. A knock sounded on the door again, so I made slow steps to the window. I shifted the curtain slightly and peeked through the window. Indeed, there was a guy standing by the door, but I couldn't see the face because of the angle I was at. I slowly crept to the door, making sure no foot sounds were heard, and peeped through the peephole. In front the door was a face I hadn't seen in over a year. I opened the door and aimed my gun at Damien's head as I watched him with puzzled eyes.

"Hi to you too," he said with a smug look before groaning in pain and crouching as he held his waist.

"How the fuck are you here?!" I asked as I looked behind him to see if anyone came with him. When he went missing, Aurora and I moved to a different house because my dad felt that the one I had been living in was compromised. "How did you find me? How did you get pass security?"

Timely, a few guards ran up to us with their flashlights and guns aiming towards Damien. "Ms.Carter, our apologies," Daft, the head of security apologized on behalf of him and his team. "We went on a break and didn't realize an intruder was present until we noticed a suspicious car in front the premises. We'll take it from here."

"No," I shook my head. "He stays with me. Search the property for any more intruders, and, please, don't take any more breaks." Everyone nodded before separating to search the property for anyone else. "How?" was all I was able to ask Damien.

"How what?" Damien asked weakly, and he removed his hand from his waist, revealing blood on both his hand and waist.

"You're hurt!" I finally noticed, and I tucked my gun away and helped him inside. I then closed the door behind him and led him to the living room. Aurora was obediently still seated on the sofa I had left her on, but curiosity burned through her eyes with an intensity the minute her eyes locked with Damien's.

"Hey, my little pumpkin," Damien smiled weakly while stumbling a bit. I helped him get to one of the sofas in the room all while feeling Aurora's eyes piercing through me. I knew she had questions. I did too. "Do you remember me, Aurora?"

Aurora shyly said, "Mommy said I shouldn't talk to strangers, Daddy."

Damien looked up at me before looking at Aurora again. "I'm not a stranger. I've just been gone for a while. Come give daddy a hug."