s i x

Aaron was chucking files into a box on his desk, not having the time to clean up his office in a while. He set a stack of papers on the floor, thinking he'd get to it later, but was distracted by a small slip of paper that fluttered to the floor next to him. He picked it up and turned it over to examine it.

In big bold letters the name Anastasia Pierce was embossed onto the card. Aaron stared at the paper for a moment, standing up straight and grabbing his phone. He dialed the number, his thumb hovering over the 'call' button.

Should he call her? She did say it's not too late.

He rolled the idea around in his head for a few more minutes, trying to gauge what her reaction would be now that she had seen him again. She didn't seem upset that he hadn't called, and she had been helpful to the case. Aaron pressed the button, deciding that he would call her.

"Anastasia Pierce." Her soft voice could be heard through the phone.

"Ana? It's Aaron." He said nervously. Why was he nervous? He never got nervous.

He swore he could hear her smile over the phone as she replied. "Oh hey Aaron. Glad you called."

His lips curled into a light smile, "I am too. Thanks for your help on the case, again."

"Yeah, it was ... well uh, something." She laughed nervously. Before he'd gotten arrested, her and James were slowly becoming good friends. The fact that he'd been able to pull something like that off didn't sit right with her.

A partially awkward silence ensued for a few seconds before Aaron opened his mouth again. "Hey, I was wondering whether you'd like to go for coffee sometime?"

Ana blushed, though she knew he couldn't see her. "I-I don't know." She said hesitantly.

"Come on, it'll be fun. As friends, okay?"

"Just as friends?" She inquired, knowing that neither of them were interested in something more than that.

Aaron nodded, "Just as friends."

"Well in that case, sure, I'd love to." She smiled, seeing Charlotte watch her from the door to her office.

She mouthed the words 'fbi agent' at her with a smirk and Ana shooed her away with her hands. Charlotte laughed quietly to herself as she went back to her desk, knowing she was going to convince her boss to tell her later.

"Great, when are you free?" Aaron asked, knowing that they could be whisked away on a case in a second.

"Anytime, I'm done for the day, I just have some paper work and files to do." And replied, eyeing the stack that was building up in front of her. She never did like paperwork.

"How about now? I'll pick you up in twenty?" Aaron asked confidently.

"Yeah. I'll see you then." Ana smiled as Aaron ended the call.

She jumped as Charlotte threw the door to her office wide open and pranced inside. "Was that the hot FBI agent?" She asked excitedly.

Ana rolled her eyes, a coy smile playing on her lips. She stayed silent as she tried to sift through some files.

"Oh my gosh! It totally was!" Charlotte shrieked, bouncing on the balls of her feet as she tried to pry more information out of the doctor in front of her.

"Not a word Charlotte." Ana grinned. "But he'll be here in like fifteen minutes. Could you buzz him in and try not to gawk."