t h i r t e e n

It has been a day since Ana was kidnapped and Aaron was at his wits end. They'd gone over the days before she received anything from the unsub and the day itself — but nothing came to mind.

He'd just gotten home from a short yet tiring day at work, mostly doing paperwork since he wasn't allowed to work on Ana's case, what with it being an official BAU case and everything. He was on the couch for all but three minutes before the doorbell rung. Groaning, he walked over to the door and opened it, a small smile tugging on his lips as he saw his son practically vibrating with happiness.

"Daddy!" Jack smiled and jumped onto his dad, clinging to his neck tightly as they walked inside, Hayley hot on their heels.

"Hey buddy." Hayley watched as Aaron greeted their son, he smiled widely at the little boy, but she noticed that his smile didn't meet his eyes.

She walked over to the two of them, smiling down at her son. "Hey Jack, why don't you go get one of the new toys your dad bought for you. You promised you'd show me one when we came here."

Jack nodded excitedly and ran to his room, his tiny feet hitting against the floor lightly as he moved.

Hayley sighed, sinking into the couch, looking up at Aaron as he sat down next to her. "How are you?" She asked, her feeble attempt at making conversation.

"Fine." He mumbled distractedly.

She frowned, but persevered. He'd tell her is he wanted to. "How is-" she hesitated. "That girl. The doctor? She's not here again is she?" She didn't mean for that to come out the way it did, but it didn't matter, because she could already see his neck turning a deep shade of red.

He gritted his teeth before spitting out an answer, "She's gone."

Hayley's eyes softened, the girl left him. "I'm so sorry Aaron, you deserve better. I thought she was okay though."

"She was kidnapped Hayley." He growled angrily. "I don't even know why I'm telling you. The first time you met her you called her a prostitute."

He looked at her for the first time since she sat on the couch. Her face had grown ashen and pale, her hand was clutching the front of her shirt.

"Aaron I-"

"I don't want to hear it." He muttered, hopping off the couch. "Just, if you're leaving Jack here then leave. But if you want to take him with then I suggest you go now."

Hayley reached out for her ex husband, thinking he might need some form of comfort. But she recoiled her arm as soon as she saw him step backwards, further away from her. Her eyes flashed with hurt and she cleared her throat lightly after she stood up.

"It's your weekend with him tomorrow. We'll be back around the same time tomorrow. Just in time for lunch." She said and went to get Jack.

Aaron said his goodbyes to his Jack and his mother and they both left, leaving him alone again. He sat himself back on the couch and almost felt like crying again, the only person he wanted to be with right now was probably tied up in an empty room.

The man, as Ana had come to call him, had left her to sleep, only coming back the day after. Ana talked to him a little more, almost feeling sorry for him when she realized he was extremely lonely.

Pretty soon, they were on the topic of Hayley. The man was going on and on about her. Her hair, her eyes, the way she is with Jack, anything you name, he had a compliment ready about her.

"I love her, you know? But I can't ever be with her. She loves Aaron Hotchner and their son needs to have a proper family. I want her to be happy." He exhaled sharply as he leaned against the wall opposite to the woman he had kept in captivity for a day now. "I really am sorry, but you were in the way."