Chapter 16

Riley softly knocked and Melody let him in. Melody sat back down on Zoe’s bed. Her bed was a loft bed with her desk underneath so Zoe’s bed was where the girls sat while watching the TV. Riley looked around, it was the first time he had been in her dorm. It was laid out just like his dorm room. He started to sit on the floor.

“Why are you on the floor? You can sit up here. I won’t bite.” 

He stood up and sat next to her but tried to keep space between them. Why did she make him so nervous he wondered to himself. 

“Where’s Zoe?” He asked.

“She went to the party.”

“And you didn’t go with her?”

“No, I’m not a big party goer. It’s fun to get out every once in a while but I don’t feel the need to go out all weekend, every week. I’d rather stay in and cuddle up with a good book or movie. I know I’m lame.”

“I don’t think so, it’s actually nice.” 

They fell into a comfortable silence and turned to the TV. 

“Can I ask what Landon was talking about after the game? Something about a cyber chick…”

“That’s what he calls you...but he doesn’t know it’s you.”

“You told him about me? Or at least the online me?”

“Hard to hide all the messaging and texting. He knew I was talking to a girl I met online but I never told him about you.”

“Zoe knows.”

Riley’s eyebrows shot up. 

“Really!?”

“Umm...yeah, I was...upset when I found out and needed someone to talk to. Don’t worry she knows not to tell Landon.”

“Why were you upset?”

Melody kept her eyes on the TV and she felt a blush spread across her cheeks. She didn’t say anything.

“I didn’t mean to tell you and then disappear. I wanted to talk to you but you know how training camp is run.”

Melody didn’t say anything. She was thinking back to that day. Riley put his finger under her chin and made her look at him. She looked up into his eyes, she felt like tears were ready to flow. 

“What’s wrong?”

She shook her head and tried to look away. He kept her eyes on him.

“Please talk to me.”

She took a deep breath. 

“I don’t know. I just wish…”

She glanced down to his lips and sighed. His face was so close. Her heart was racing. There was a loud bang on the door and a drunk Zoe walked in. They got up real fast and stared at her. Without a word Zoe collapsed on her bed, yawned, and fell asleep.

“I think I should head back. Thanks for letting me come over and hang out. Good night Sweets.”

He placed a gentle kiss on her head and walked out the door.  Melody put some ibuprofen and a bottle of water on Zoe’s desk before crawling into her bed.

-------

Melody woke up to the groans from Zoe as she woke up with a hangover. Melody didn’t pity her and hoped Zoe learned her lesson about drinking. She got out of bed and got ready to go to the mess hall. Zoe changed out of her party clothes and followed her out. They sat with their food and Zoe started to tell Melody about the party. They were laughing and having a good time together. It was moments like these she realized how much she missed her besty all summer. Melody’s cell went off.