Chapter 20

Melody was in the kitchen helping her mom cook for Thanksgiving dinner. This was her favorite holiday. Her mother and her would cook, while listening to the guys shout at the football games on TV. Zoe always came over because her family did Thanksgiving dinner with extended family the Sunday after. So her mom always took a shift at the hospital and her dad spent the holiday with a friend who had lost his wife a few years back. This year was no exception. Riley was also spending the holiday weekend with them. She was excited and nervous having him there. It was different this time around. 

The weekend seemed to be flying by. Saturday night the house was quiet when Riley knocked on Melody’s bedroom door. He smirked when he saw her surprised face and when she quickly looked down the hall. 

“Don’t worry everyone is gone. Landon just left to visit some people. He invited me but I told him I’d pass. It’s late I was wondering if you wanted to eat and watch a movie with me.”

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight for the first time in days. 

“I’d love to. I’ll go make us something real fast, go pick out a movie.”

“No need, I ordered pizza.”

They cuddled together on the couch. When the movie was over Riley looked down at Melody and smiled when he saw her eyes were closed. He brushed her hair back and kissed her. He smiled when he felt her kiss him back. She wasn’t as asleep as he thought. The kiss deepened. He felt her hands running up and down his bare chest. Then she took his hand and placed it on her chest. He lightly messaged her and she let out a moan. Before he realized it she took her shirt off. His heart started racing. Melody was trying not to let her nerves stop her. She wanted him. She was straddling him as he laid on the couch. She leaned down and started kissing him again. She couldn’t help keep her hands off of him. She started moving her hips, rubbing him. She could tell he was enjoying himself. She ran her hand down his body and slid it under his waistbands. Riley let out a moan at her touch. Melody felt him take in a deep breath in shock. Before she knew it she was sitting on the couch, alone, watching Riley walk out the front door. 

She sat there in shock. She was numb from all the emotions running through her. She was surprised by his reaction, still turned on from the make out session, confused about why he left, and ashamed because she must have done something wrong. She felt a cold chill and remembered she was sitting in the living room with no shirt on. She grabbed her shirt and went to her room. She tried texting him but he didn’t reply. She laid in bed and fell asleep, crying. 

Riley finally stopped running. He didn’t want to stop because that meant he had to think about what just happened. He sat on the curb and put his head in his hands. He knew he needed to explain himself to Melody but didn’t know what to say. He realized he hadn’t grabbed his phone on the way out of the house. He was lucky he had enough thought to grab shoes. He ran his hand over his face….he knew she was going to be dangerous. 

--------

Melody spent Sunday in isolation until it was time to leave. She almost broke down in tears when she hugged her mom goodbye but smiled for the first time when her mom handed her lasagna to go. She refused to make eye contact with Riley in the truck. She sat next to Zoe and fell asleep. She was tired from crying most of the night. By the next day Melody was in the anger stage. Even when Riley finally texted her she refused to read it and reply. She hadn’t told Zoe what had happened but she had no doubt her best friend hadn’t noticed something was wrong. After a couple of days the texts stopped. Melody tried to hide her depression but not very well. When Landon asked her why she was so down lately she just said going home for the holiday made her home sick and she would be back to normal soon enough. She wasn’t sure if he believed her but he didn’t push. 

“Mel you free Saturday? I want to take you out for dinner. There’s someone I want you to meet.” Landon ran his fingers through his hair. “You can bring Zoe if you want.”

“I don’t know.”

“Come on we haven’t hung out a lot lately and I’ve been talking to someone. I’d really like you to meet her.”
Melody was surprised. “Ok. I don’t know about Zoe but I’ll be there.”

Besides her classes Melody hadn’t been out much. She didn’t feel like socializing. She invited Zoe to go out to dinner. Zoe laughed and said she wouldn’t miss meeting the girl who seems to have finally caught Landon’s eye. As they got ready Zoe finally mentioned his name.

“Is Riley going tonight?”

Melody’s heartbroke at his name. She was not sure and it was a fear he might be there. 

“I don’t know.”

After getting ready, which was a lot of work for Zoe, the girls went down. Landon was parked out front. Melody let out her breath, that she hadn’t realized she was holding. There were only two people in the truck and Riley wasn’t one of them. They went to a Mexican restaurant. When they sat down Zoe asked Landon where Riley was. 

“I invited him. He said he had plans. Probably has a date because I haven’t heard of any parties going on tonight.”

“I thought he had a cyber chick or something?”

Melody kicked Zoe under the table. She gave her a questioning look. Melody looked mad and shook her head no.

“Yeah I think something happened. I never see him glued to his phone anymore. It’s about time, he needs a real woman not some crazy girl he met online.”

Melody tried to ignore them and picked at her food. She didn’t have an appetite anymore. She wanted to cry at the thought of Riley out with another girl right now. Zoe started asking Landon and his girlfriend questions about how they met. Melody wasn’t very active in the conversation but she paid enough attention to know: her name was Scarlett, they met at a party, and she was also a Senior. She looked at her brother and she could see how nervous he was and it made her smile. She could tell this girl was special to him. This warmed her heart. She cheered up and started to enjoy the evening. 

When the girls got back to their room Melody started climbing into her bed but Zoe grabbed her leg and pulled her back down.

“I don’t think so…”

“What? I’m going to bed.”

“I have been nice and given you space. I told myself you would tell me when you were ready. But it’s been a week and now Landon is talking about Riley possibly out with someone else. What happened?”

Melody’s mind went crazy trying to remember everything that had happened. She still didn’t understand what happened that night. Melody sat down on Zoe’s bed and started crying. Zoe sat down next to her and wrapped her up in her arms.

“Do I need to find a shovel and alibi?”

Melody laughed at her best friend. 

“There’s my girl. If you’re not ready to talk about it yet that's ok. Just know I’m here to listen.”

Melody wiped her tears away and hugged Zoe good night before climbing up into her bed. 

----------

Landon took Scarlett back to her dorm before heading to his dorm room and laying down for the night. He was woken up at some point by a drunk Riley stumbling into their room and trying to climb up into his bed before giving up and falling asleep on the floor.